New member needs help

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iquinn

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByHome Repair1395585765.719009.jpg
The first photo is our porch. I want to redo it and extend it out about 6 ft. Here's the problem. When we bought we were told the house was moved to the property.ImageUploadedByHome Repair1395585962.988304.jpgImageUploadedByHome Repair1395585992.482745.jpg
These next 2 photos are the bottom of the porch. Yes when you stand on my porch, you stand over my basement. I have a feeling when they measured for the foundation, they didn't consider the porch.
My question. When I remove the existing structure, what do I do to stop air and water from coming in? I will be insulating but I need it sealed first.
Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Home Repair

This should be built like a reguler floor for the house with slight slope to it covered with plywood t&g and covered with a waterproof decking like duradeck of fibreglass but either of those should run about 6" up the wall behind the siding. When you insulate for living space below there should be air gap between the insulation and the deck and that air should be vented to the outside. This usually done by running joists one way and the laying 2x4s on the flat the other way fo air gap. As you are very close to the ground you may want to use treated lumber foir the framing.
And welcome to the site.

Thanks this is probably the most difficult part of this house to fix up for me

Did you ever want outside access to your basement? Looks like you could do that pretty easy with how it's built. And that's a small porch around here we call that a farmers porch. You could add stairs from the window over and then extend a bigger porch out if you need the outdoor space. Just an idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Repair

It's pretty hard to figure out from the pictures, is there a barring wall under the side of the house or are the floor joist continuing under the floor of the house all in one. I had one of these to deal with, I re-built the floor and closed it in as part of the house.

There is no joist extending to the inside floor. When we moved in the only thing attached to the plywood, was two 2x4s screwed to the hewed logs

Is the framing solid enough to use or are you thinking ,rebuid the whole thing, it looks like it taken a bit of water.

I gather that the post and the outside edge of the porch sits on the block foundation. While your pictures don't really show it I wonder if the foundation was built because your "porch" wasn't really a porch originally as they are normally built on a house, rather it was a mud room that someone just decided to open to the outdoors.
From what I see, you should build a wall to close it in, ad a slider or french door, and instead of extending the "porch' and given you're a couple inches above grade, just add a patio. Either poured or patio block.

We see this in new construction from time to time but does have requirements. It must be treated as a roof. It would have a slope of 1/4" per ft and like a roof the flashing should go up the wall I think 6". That creates a few problems like there should be a 6" step down from the door and the bottom of the siding has to be removed and replace after. The deck is usually covered with vinyl deck membrane which is wrapped up the wall and up the post.
The cheat for this house would be to lower the floor to be aprox. level with or just above the top of the foundation or the required 6" and the deck plywood carry out 1 or 2" past the foundation so the membrane can be done without removing the siding. Then a flash would be slipped up under the siding and a decritive board would be added below that and the post would be dressed out.
Best if the level of the floor is 1 1/2" above the foundation as just like any other roof there has to be venting above the insulation and below the sheeting.
We have done this to a few old houses and it does pass inspection.

Back