GFI trips during storms

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgregory

Reaction score
When we have an electrical storm there is one GFI in the house that will trip every time. I had the Electric Company put a surge protector on the meter and that did not help. Any suggestions? Thanks.

When we have an electrical storm there is one GFI in the house that will trip every time. I had the Electric Company put a surge protector on the meter and that did not help. Any suggestions? Thanks.

I have had that problem when I had a long run of romex on the breaker, had to put a GFI outlet in instead of using the one in the breaker box.

it could be a bad gfci or you have a problem with water getting into a junction box and/or a poor connection somewhere (combined with moisture).

If a new GFCI doesn't fix it then the potentially dangerous condition should be fixed.

Thanks, I will replace the GFI outlet and see if that fixes the problem. I will check for loose connections also. Thanks again for the fast responses.

What is plugged into the GFI and what is on the load side of the GFI?

Back