Washer/Dryer Not Heating

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrubs

Reaction score
Hi

I have just moved into a house and the dryer doesn't appear to be working on the Indesit WDG1195W washer/dryer that is installed. it turns but is not drying clothes or getting warm. Apparently it has a 'self cleaning' filter and I can't see one in an obvious place being a novice and pretty much clueless with washing machines etc one odd thing I notice is the power light above the on and off switch intermittently flickers on and off it's sporadic more like a bad ground somewhere. I popped the lid off and found this:

First of all whoever had been in this last had done a really bad job with cutting the main power wire off to wire it up to the mains as there was straggles of wire hanging out of it. But also noticed these two plugs taped up..(on closer inspection, was this mains lead supposed to attatch to something that should or used to be attatched on top of the heather element that is no longer there?)

Cut mains wire:
597543177_q5USS-L.jpg

One with brown and black wire:

597502478_bFK5w-L.jpg

and one with two brown wires:
597501866_Lwmg8-L.jpg

The only spare terminal I can see where they could/should? be attatched to is here:
I'm guessing this is the heating element.

597504152_GmSE7-L.jpg

I know nothing about these. Or why indeed the previous occupier or whoever decided to unplug these I'm finding it difficult to suss out. Any ideas where these two plugs should attach to or any other ideas?

Last edited:
Welcome Scrubs:
It is time to call the local appliance repairman. It is hard to see what is going on there but it looks like some burned off wires. We appreciate the good pictures but it just looks too dangerous for a DIYer.
Glenn

Scrubs:
What you need to do is get a copy of the wiring diagram for your washer/dryer combo from Indesit. That will allow you to understand how the thing is supposed to work.

But, typically electric dryers will have some sort of high limit control so that if the dryer gets too hot, the high limit control will shut off power to the heating element. In some cases, this high limit will reset itself once the dryer cools down. In other cases, you need to replace the high limit thermostat every time it blows.

If you have more than one temperature setting on your dryer, try the other temperature settings. That will eliminate the possibility that it's just a bad thermostat.

But, you need to get a wiring diagram so you can identify each of the parts in your dryer so you have an idea what each one does.

Back