Stupid Monday

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Admin

Reaction score
Anyone else exhausted on this fine Monday morning?

I was so exhausted yesterday I couldn’t even post to this thread. The trouble with summer and a new house to fix up is when the weekend comes you plan all week the projects you want to get done and then the weekend comes and you have all the normal summer stuff to do. So you do both. Sunday started about 6:00 AM with working on kitchen trim and painting the entry mud room, then start the kitchen sink plumbing, but then there was the steam tractor show that you just can’t miss so change at noon and do the show till about 5:00. Get back to working on the house but being in the sun all day requires a nap in the lawn chair for 30 minutes. Wake up and finish the sink, dishwasher and fridge plumbing and go after the new lights and ceiling fan install. Get out of the house about 11:00 and look for some dinner at the all night place. Get up at 5:00 and go to the normal job and start planning what work you can get to that night if you have time.

^ that made me look like a whiner.

The worst part is my girlfriend is a dairy farmer. When I work and bust it for 14 or 15 hours straight I never get to whine because she just put in a normal 16 hour day working twice as hard. The best part about a dairy farm is you never get a weekend off or a weekday.

The worst part is my girlfriend is a dairy farmer. When I work and bust it for 14 or 15 hours straight I never get to whine because she just put in a normal 16 hour day working twice as hard. The best part about a dairy farm is you never get a weekend off or a weekday.

So she gets an 8 hour vacation a day?

Yep they used to milk the cows 3 times a day 2PM, 10PM, 6AM. They only milk 150 cows and have another 150 that they only have to feed. So doing that improves production about 5% but didn’t let you get that 8 hour vacation each day. So they went back to twice a day 4AM, 4PM. That leaves you a lot more time in the middle to tend to the 500 acres of crops it takes to feed them. A pile of ground up corn about half a football field in size 14 foot deep is all they eat per year. I never measured how much comes out the other end but it’s a lot. :eek:

That sounds terrible. I don't get a lot of down time, but thinking I would work 16 hours a day for the rest of my life would drive me mad.

Well I’m well past a 30 something in 3 years I will be a 60 something. Not sure what the secret is but the girlfriend is a young 30 something. Maybe that is more of a motivator than I thought.

I find if the project becomes a passion something I really want to do and enjoy I can put in some long days with no problem. This restoration is kind of falling into that category. The other thing is her granddad is a retired all around carpenter he is 81 and sitting around was never his thing. Doing this house over has lit a fire under him to help out and quite frankly I am having a tough time keeping up with the old boy. I’m also learning a ton of tricks from him.

I have done and seen a lot of different types of work and I have to say dairy farming is right at the top of the list of thankless jobs.

To top it off it’s not just the hours, it’s the whole business model. Milk prices are set but everything else is a variable you have no control over. The government mandates that corn has to be used for fuel and that drives the supply and demand for feed because it’s much more profitable to sell for gasohol. That drives the price of fuel and that is a big factor in farming of all types. Corn is in everything you eat almost as it’s a sweetener also. That brings up all food costs.

Most farmers are farmers because it’s in their blood and it’s hard to change from the only thing they know. Selling out a dairy happens every day around here, and they are switching to crops only or something like that.

I was so exhausted yesterday I couldn’t even post to this thread. The trouble with summer and a new house to fix up is when the weekend comes you plan all week the projects you want to get done and then the weekend comes and you have all the normal summer stuff to do. So you do both. Sunday started about 6:00 AM with working on kitchen trim and painting the entry mud room, then start the kitchen sink plumbing, but then there was the steam tractor show that you just can’t miss so change at noon and do the show till about 5:00. Get back to working on the house but being in the sun all day requires a nap in the lawn chair for 30 minutes. Wake up and finish the sink, dishwasher and fridge plumbing and go after the new lights and ceiling fan install. Get out of the house about 11:00 and look for some dinner at the all night place. Get up at 5:00 and go to the normal job and start planning what work you can get to that night if you have time.
If you were trying to make the mod squad look bad, you did a GREAT:trophy: JOB.

Good for you landing a GF half your age!

Austin said:
Good for you landing a GF half your age!

Somehow I think it's one of those things that looks better on paper than actual. I don't think the oldog could bark up that tree long enough ;)

So who's tired again? I was up at four, I need a nap.

I'm feeling good today except the fact that I am behind on office work and people are crying.

Back