15 amp or 20 amp

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suboveryde

Reaction score
I am rewiring my lighting for 2 bedrooms, living room, dining room, kitchen, hallway, bathroom, and front porch (it sounds like a lot) a total of 8 light fixtures four of which are ceiling fans. Is it ok to run all that on one 15 amp circuit using 14/2 or does it need to be 20 amp on 12/2?

yes, it is OK to run it all on a single circuit, but I would not do it. I would separate them up. Kitchen and dining room on one, both bedrooms on one, and the bathroom hallway and living room on one, and the porch on whatever room is closest (normally the living room). Running all these with 14/2 is fine. If you want them all on a single circuit, then I would go with 12/2 just to cover bases.
You can calculate the wattage and get your total amperage, but you would need to have all of your fixtures on hand to get the wattage. there is a conversion that I do not have memorized, but you can get it in an Ugly book and then you will know if the total amps used would require 12 or just 14. Breaking it up to 3 circuits will make it better. Plus, you do not want every light to out in the house if a breaker pops...

Since you are rewiring you need to meet current code. The bedrooms at least need to be AFCI protected. Depending on which code cycle yo are on many of the other might need to be AFCI as well.

No, it is not Ok to run all of this on a single circuit. The kitchen and bathroom alone will be too much for a single circuit. Ever turn on a microwave, bathroom exhaust fan and a hair dryer at the same time?

No, it is not Ok to run all of this on a single circuit. The kitchen and bathroom alone will be too much for a single circuit. Ever turn on a microwave, bathroom exhaust fan and a hair dryer at the same time?

It's all lighting. Except for the AFCI requirement there is no problem running it on the same circuit.

My apologies, I didn't realize we were talking about just lighting; I should have read the original post more carefuly.

I never think of AFCI because it is not required here where I live.

Back