Name that car

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cugnot was one of the first to employ successfully a device for converting the reciprocating motion of a steam piston into rotary motion by means of a ratchet arrangement. A small version of his three-wheeled fardier à vapeur ran in 1769. (A fardier was a massively built two-wheeled horse-drawn cart for transporting very heavy equipment such as cannon barrels).

The following year, a full-size version of the fardier à vapeur was built, specified to be able to carry 4 tons and cover 2 lieues (7.8 km or 4.8 miles) in one hour, a performance it never achieved in practice.

The vehicle was reported to have been very unstable due to poor weight distribution – which would have been a serious disadvantage seeing that it was intended that the fardier should be able to traverse rough terrain and climb steep hills. In 1771, the second vehicle is said to have gone out of control and knocked down part of the Arsenal wall, (the first known ‘automobile’ accident. (source: wikipedia.org)

1771 Nicolas Joseph Cugnot's steam-powered car.jpg

Too clean and shiney for me. And the ladders are wayyyyy to tall. :)

This is one of my neighbor's cars if you don't like clean and shiny:

Jalopy_zps477ee82b.jpg

However, we've been slowly fixing it up:

Old-and-new_zps8221c496.jpg

Here a few photos of a one of a kind. - Should be easy to "guess" but it was sold for an estimated $3,240,000 and is not for sale.

Dick

1954 Olds 88 Rocket  - 1.jpg

1954 Olds 88 Rocket  - 3.jpg

1954 Olds 88 Rocket  -43.jpg

Last edited:
Right on!

It was designed by GM in 1952 and was the pet project of Harley Earl and Anton Duntov. Powered by an Olds V8.

Chevrolet sold the most cars, they got to release a low performance Corvette that was stripped down and it had a 6.

Dick

Sorry about that Dick, a friend follows the posts here and sent me that photo last week.
BTW If you post a photo here from the net, change the name when you save it. It's just to easy, that one would give us 54 rocket.

Latest posts

Back