Advice: Safety anchors for harness when cleaning roof

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ptb123

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I am new to the HRT FORUMS. I have a 2-story, low-country style house with steep pitch in center and 6 dormers with a full wrap-around covered porch (low-pitched) with standing seam metal roof, vinyl siding. I would like to install eye bolts on inside walls above dormer windows so I can hook in with carbariners, and attach webbing to use as a safety precaution while trying to clean the roof. Pressure washer companies have not cleaned the roof very well and have bent the gutters with their ladders. I'd like to use a sodium per carbonate solution and clean it myself (used on lower level and looks brighter smoother, cleaner than clorox for months longer.
Any problems with or suggestions regarding inserting eyebolts above dormer windows (don't they have headers/lentils above each window?) attaching and then running the webbing over the roof to use keep me stable on the other side of roof while working on the steeper pitch. If anyone has a decent idea or suggestions, I'd appreciate it and you can send to my email as well.
Also, if this needs to be in another forum, please let me know.
Tia,
Vr,
ptb123
[email protected]

I am going to try and post pic of roof. Someone has suggested hip-hook ladder which may work and another suggested a cherry picker bucket, but that is very expensive for me to rent down here (SC). What I want to be able to do is clean the entire roof with a soft wash broom, including top of shed dormers, as well as clean the dormer siding and windows, which will require brushing as well. Are there no options for any kind of harness setup ? I have already fallen from one high ladder resulting in torn knee and broken tibia and almost year on crutches/braces. Here goes with pic (hopefully you can see it well enough:
IMG_1692.JPG

I have rather expensive covered gutters all around and every time a "professional" has been on roof, they have been gutters (then they don't catch water properly without gutter guy coming out to repair). They have used ladders recklessly without regard to the metal finish (numerous touchups required). One guy even hung his ladder on vent pipe! i would like to be able to at least get up to top with backpack sprayer with cleaner, then be able to brush residue, and rinse without fear of falling.
Thanks again.
ptb123

One problem I see with the screw eye in the dormer idea is that if you have enough slack on the safety line to reach the peak, you have almost enough to hit the ground if you slip....

Better to anchor your safety lines up and over the top I'd think.

Wait for those with more experience in high work to weigh in.

You asked for advise, here's mine coming from a professional roofer that sells, fabricates and installs roof such as yours: Stay Off The Roof! You will do more damage walking, sliding around on it than any good you will accomplish.

I agree. Stay off the roof and spend your money on a high pressure washer with various tips to spray the entire length of the roof, as you stand safely on terra firma.

Wouldn't let anyone on my roof! Then again, no way you'd be able to get onto it given its angle. Don't ever risk it anyway really.

Back