Bathroom remodeling

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbqsteve

Reaction score
I'm doning total remodeling on my bathroom and could use some advice on wheather or not to use the company called Re-bath to redo my tub/shower.
If anyone has any advice i'd appreciate it.
Thanks in advance
BBQSTEVE

Welcome BBQSteve:
From the testimonies on this Forum its an overwhelming DO NOTuse Re-Bath. We have stories of 5/8" gaps, poor caulking, overcharging and on and on. This family absolutly abhors Re-Bath. From my personal experience, we had our tub refinshed, had a 5 year warranty, they had to come back every year for 7 years, then we quit calling them and put a bath mat in.
Changing the tub is not an option in our case either because it is a big, heavy, cast-iron tub with beautiful ceramic tile surrounding it. The only way to remove it is with a sledge hammer; break it in little pieces and carry them out. Then you have to face the reinstall and repairing the 50's era ceramic tile.
I don't want to sound like this is a hopeless situation but, in our case, we gave up on it.
Glenn

We have a blue, ceramic coated, cast-iron tub that has to go! My brother said you use a sledge hammer and break it up:eek: . Anyone done this? What do I watch out for:confused: ?

Hello Mary Jo:
Wear lots of protective equipment. Gloves, safety glasses and full face shield, and use a good respirator. Cast Iron is very similar to breaking glass; it shatters in all directions and the projectiles are sharp.
Protect yourself and others, be careful which way you hit (not twoard yourself) and flail the h... out of it.
Glenn

We have a blue, ceramic coated, cast-iron tub that has to go! My brother said you use a sledge hammer and break it up:eek: . Anyone done this? What do I watch out for:confused: ?

use sledge,wear long pants,shirt and eye protection

I have a 24-year old son who loves to bash things:D ...I think I'll give him this project if he agrees to wear protective gear! Might it be worth a couple rolls of duck tape to hold down the "shatter"? I've used tape to cut formica and it works wonders...wonder if it would help with this one? MANY THANKS:) !

It sure would! Duct tape is to our profession, what penicilin is to the medical profession. It will cure anything.
Glenn

Mary Jo, got any old sheets? Covering the tub before the first blow is struck can eliminate those small sharp shards from flying all over.

Better get out the video camera. This sounds like a Youtube type situation to me.

Latest posts

Back