Home Improvement expert 1st post

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HouseSurgeon

Reaction score
Hello, First time post just signed up. I have 25 years plus in the home improvement industry. Dam that went quick! Glad to help if I can. :D

Welcome aboard, HouseSurgeon:

I need to replace a pair of water shut off valves on a 1/2 inch copper pipe where it's not feasible to use ball valves, and I want to know of the best non-ball valve you know of.

The last time I needed to do this, I used a pair of KITZ gate valves (KITZ #28 gate valves actually). The problem is that I can't shut the water off completely with them (there is always a very slow drip) and I was told that I must have mixed up or turned around the gates. (I took the bonnets and gates out of the valves, soldered the valve bodies in, and put the gates and bonnets back in, and apparantly you can't do that without running the risk of mixing up the gates or turning them around so the valve won't close 100% after that. Also, I can't order parts (like a new packing for these KITZ gate valves because the guy selling them tells me it's cheaper to replace the valve than to get a packing for it.

What is the best 1/2 inch non-ball valve you know of and why?

Last edited:
Back