Best method for locating studs when installing drywall

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brainparr

Reaction score
I'm looking for a consensus on the best method for locating/marking stud locations when installing a 4x8 sheet of drywall.
It appears that the pros tend to eyeball it, but I haven't had much luck with that. I'm doing a large basement finishing project and need a method that will allow me to work quickly and accurately (i.e. not miss the studs with my screws).
Thanks!

Put marks on ceiling and floor before you put the sheet in place and put a stud against it after you it is in place, just beside where the screws go and it will be easy to line up the screws.

Marks or small strips of tape top and bottom before you put the sheet on, as Neal suggests. And if needed draw a straight line from top to bottom on your drywall.

All the drywall I have hung lately have marks at 16 and 24 inch to help with screwing in the field. I also use the marks at the floor and ceiling and ether use a stud or a 4’ level to transfer a line. I recently covered some plaster ceilings with drywall that were badly damaged and super old construction where center distance wasn’t always right on the mark. I located each joist on the ends of the room by screwing test screws thru the old plaster finding the joist center and then snapping a chalk line before ever lifting the first sheet.

To me the trick is really in the framing and taking the time to get those members located very accurately on the 16’s. make sure that first sheet is perfect and the rest will follow. Nothing worse than trying to adjust mid-stream.

Back