Carpet adhesive on concrete

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrissy

Reaction score
Would like to apply a solid stain to concrete, however after removing indoor/outdoor carpet the glue used is stuck to the concrete. Tried letting the etching acid soak in but it had no effect on the glue. Varsol softened it so I could scrap the surface but there's still glue left behind. Any suggestions on how to remove it would be welcome. If it can't be cleaned could I put down a leveling compound and apply the stain to that? My easy project is turning into a huge problem.

Thanks

If the concrete surface is smooth enough, you could try using a razor scraper. Worked like a charm when I had a similar situation to yours a few years ago. Bought the scraper I used from a DIY flooring place. It has a 3' handle with a stout vinyl grip, meaning you stand while using it. And it uses replaceable blades, which are about 4" wide and quite strong. Any stubborn residual glue could be wire-brushed off with a little help from a dab of lacquer thinner.

Maybe rent a orbital electric floor scrubber with coarse pads?

I had a worse problem with thinset leftover on a concrete floor where we were gonig to finsih with marble. We used a concrete grinder (looks like a floor polisher) with a circular disk and flat stones in it. Not only did we get all the old thinset off but we leveled the floor to within < 1/8" across the entire downstairs.

Not sure how big an area you have but this would kick a$% for you.

Back