Aluminum to copper neutrals

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sailor86

Reaction score
Do you think using nolox and special au-co wire nuts is necessary when making an aluminum to copper joint where the neutrals are concerned. I absolutely don't waste the effort where the grounds are concerned. Also, when installing outlets in a house with aluminum wiring, do you think it's a good idea to just make sure the side-screw connections are at the most snug rather than torqued down. I've heard about the propensity of aluminum to expand and it seemed to me that I should look out for over-tightening.

"Do you think using nolox and special au-co wire nuts is necessary when making an aluminum to copper joint where the neutrals are concerned."

Yes, it does not matter whether it is the hot, neutral or ground it is the fact that two disimilar metals are in contact with each other and that leads to corrosion/oxidization.

"it's a good idea to just make sure the side-screw connections are at the most snug rather than torqued down"

Tighten them down, don't worry about torque specs and the like, just as long as they don't come loose.

Latest posts

Back