What type of electrical box should I get

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

likiud

Reaction score
I'm trying to add an outlet to the island and wondering what kind of electrical box should I get? Plastic or metal? There's many kinds when I was at home depot. I believe I should get the one with mounting ears I suppose. Is that right? And how deep of it do I need? What else do I need to consider?
ffc02a0ca5caa7e2a9048945078e8145.jpg
6463998a1274fcba288d57dddd79302b.jpg

Since the hole is cut, get one that will fill the hole. Metal or plastic is your choice, though is the wire coming up from below just a piece of Romex or is it in a piece of flex conduit?

You will need a box that can be screwed to the plywood so ears or an old work box with flip out tabs.

Since the hole is cut, get one that will fill the hole. Metal or plastic is your choice, though is the wire coming up from below just a piece of Romex or is it in a piece of flex conduit?

You will need a box that can be screwed to the plywood so ears or an old work box with flip out tabs.
It is just a piece of romex. What kind of depth should I need? Just enough to make it through the hole?

I use the plastic box like this and I tale off the swing out clamps and throw them away and use 4 small drywall screws in the 4 holes to hold it to the wood.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/1-Gang-14-cu-in-Old-Work-Box-Case-of-150-B114RB/202197958

or a steel box like this and remove the expanding side clamps and toss them and use 4 screws.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/2-1-2-in...gable-with-Conduit-KO-s-16-Pack-506/205422135

Never cut the hole until you have the box and can make it just the size you need.

You're probably going to have to cut the inside ply away for the romex connector to fit, if you select the metal box. The plastic box does need a connector because they are formed with retainers.

You're probably going to have to cut the inside ply away for the romex connector to fit, if you select the metal box. The plastic box does need a connector because they are formed with retainers.

I assume you meant "doesn't" need a connector on the plastic box.

With the hole already cut, you're going to need to find a box to fill it. The plywood might be a bit thick for an old work plastic box with the swing out clips.

Latest posts

Back