2nd Floor French Doors below

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gamecock

Reaction score
Purchased my first property a couple of years ago. trying to finish an unfinished space, but need to resolve the water issue with the french doors/deck above. Was naive (and the inspector did not write up) a bad french 2nd floor door/deck combo. Looking at a fix. Basically french door looks gone, 2nd flor deck is bad, and the sheathing (unfinished basement) directly below the deck looks roted. Possible floor joist and rotted subfloor beneath french door. How big of a DIY is this? Contractor quoting 10k (reasonable?) to replace french doors (properly flash), move deck and replace deck (properly flash), remove siding and replace sheathing. Photos attached any thoughts greatly appreciated

20171109_111612.jpg

20171109_111549.jpg

20171109_111500.jpg

20171109_111659.jpg

20171110_112833.jpg

20171110_112846.jpg

20171110_112826.jpg

20171109_111529.jpg

You have few problems here even with looking at it a contractor has to guess at just how bad stuff is so you know he is going to guess on the high side.

The deck it self should be treated lumber, can't tell from here may be salvageable. The problem with it is the flashing that should be under the decking and above ledger is not there and we don't know if there is paper behind it.
That causes most of the problems with the basement.

It looks like the door have already been changed likely just before you bought the house. French doors are always a problem and was likely installed to code at the time and the procedure today is much better.
You may be able to refinish that part of the floor and save it,
You should be able to selvage the doors and have a new frame made.

The one picture is looking up at a truss a floor I think, where is that in relation to the doors in question?

Thanks for replying....It’s pretty much directly under that french door. Its interesting cus the contractor wanted 6500 for the deck redo ....and 3500 for the other parts of the project haha

Where do you want to start. I would start at the doors, Is the wood siding or???
Other than box stores anyone here that sells doors would be able to save the doors and build a frame if the doors are still good.
Hopefully the floor repairs are minimal but some hard could be changed out by a pro or you could do a bit of tile work or sheet lino just inside the door.

With the right rented scaffolding the deck could be moved away from the wall while the repairs are made.

Get some more quotes.
Bet you pull that door out and you'll find there's no sill pan and no or improper flashing.
I can see there;s no kick plate under the threshold.
All that damage because some one had no clue or was to cheap to spend the $100 of less to do it right.
I used to make at least $10,000 a year just repair this one building 101 mistake.

Would it be possible to properly flash the deck without removing it from the house and then repair damage below by removing side/sheathing ?

Would it be possible to properly flash the deck without removing it from the house and then repair damage below by removing side/sheathing ?

That would always be the hope but best have a plan for the work and expense as figuring that stuff on the fly just makes for mistakes and likely would cost more. So plan for the absolute worst.
I have got away without moving it by blocking it up and removing the ledger and replace stuff behind it and put in a new ledger.
Mostly that is a safety issue, you don't need the thing buckling and falling down. The best is to rent scaffolding and hold it up with that so it has a big foot print and no chance of falling.
You rent legs like these to go with the scaffolding
https://www.ebay.com/p/Adjustable-S...ffolding-Leveling/2121810946?iid=322632447003

Back