Can I roof it myself??

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OverMyHead

Reaction score
This is my first post! I'm looking forward to fixing up my house some. I've embarrassingly neglected it for some time. I'm blaming money, and divorce as the driving factors, but I digress.....

Anyway. I think the first item that needs to be addressed is the roof. I bought this house in '97 and the shingles were who knows how old at that point. They are still on it. I don't know how much a job for this house would cost if someone was to do it for me, but I assume it's significant. If I can save on the labor cost, I would like to do so, hence this thread. I have relatively little home repair experience. I don't consider myself over confident in my abilities, but I do think most things I attempt end up being easier than I had imagined. It's the know-how that I lack. Hoping to fix that on this website. :)

I guess I'll just lay out my materials list and go from there. I just picked a google search result for materials calculation. Please critique!

Shingles needed: My roof is 55' long, and each side is 15.5'. So I took 55x31 and came up with 1705' square. Divided that by 100 and got 17.05 squares. At 3 bundles per square, I came up with 51.15 bundles. Adding 10% for loss and 2 extra bundles for a ridge cap, I came up with 58 bundles.

Drip edge: Simple as measuring length? Need a drip edge for the sides of the house as well?

Nails: The site I used mentioned 3 nails per shingle. That would put me at 5456 nails needed for job. 320/square X 17.05 squares- 5456. No idea how many I'd need for underlayment.

Underlayment: 1 roll of #15 underlayment covers 4 squares. So I'd need 5 rolls.

Flashing: I have 1 chimney that is 16"x16".

Vent boots: I have 3 2" vents, and 1 3.5" vents.

So, the very rough estimate so far(and missing some info) and using Lowes for pricing is:
Shingles: $1111.28
Drip edge: $54.45
Nails: Hitachi 7200-Count 1.5-in Roofing Pneumatic Nails $46.98*
Underlayment: $84.50
Flashing:TITE-SEAL Self-Adhesive (unsure, just picked one) $19.28
Boots:Oatey No-Calk 3-in x 14.5-in Galvanized Steel Vent ~$30
Roof sealant: $10.14

I expect to have to replace some decking, but have no idea how much. I didn't calculate nails needed for tar paper because I don't know how many, or what kind to get. I'm at $1357 for materials for what I've listed so far. I may decide on delivery which will increase cost and if Lowes(or w/e place I buy from) offers rooftop delivery, will likely pay for that as well. Also did not estimate nail gun and/or hammer. Just trying to get a rough estimate here to determine if it's worth doing myself or hiring a crew. Thousands of dollars saved is worth it. 1K or less probably isn't. I have NO idea how much roofers charge for labor.

*I calculated nails for using a nail gun. I have a sufficient air compressor, and enough hose to reach. I do not have a nail gun so I would have to buy one(new or used). I figure it's worth it as I'm not used to swinging a hammer.

I'm sure I've missed a bit. Hoping to get some guidance. I don't have much time left this year as it's starting to cool. I read 40-80 degrees is a good temp to install.

Thanks in advance. :)

I believe re-roofing your home requires a permit, but I am not certain. Even though it is more expensive, this may be one of those things to go to the professionals on. At least if you have a licensed and bonded pro, there should be a warranty on the work. Also, there may be some issues that are discovered when the roofing is removed that might require additional work. Having a reliable professional look at it might be your best option. Make sure you check references on the roofers though. Don't want to get some hacks to do it. Also, check with your local jurisdiction to find out if you can redo the roof without a permit or not.
Editing to add: I am not a professional. If this were a matter of replacing a few shingles, it probably would be something you could do on your own, but this sounds like a major job. You may be able to work something out with a roofing professional to save money by removing shingles yourself, but make sure you aren't doing it alone and that you use all proper safety precautions. I've nearly fallen off of the roof while clearing leaves before, so make sure you have someone who can help you if something happens.

Last edited:
If you could post a picture of the roof we could come up with some of the other challenges you may be facing.
I'm with zannej on this one.
This is one job that needs to started and finished ASAP, one rain storm and your in big trouble.
To do a roofing job correctly in my opinion all the old shingles and paper need to come off so the decking can be inspected for damage, so you would need a shingle shovel, tarps to lay over bushes, and on the ground and to rent a dumpster.
Own a ladder?
Are you able to carry 52, 75 Lb. bundles of shingles up a ladder and onto the roof?
Note;s
I've never seen a shingle that only takes 3 nails, it's a minimum of 4, more in a high wind area.
Now would be the ideal time to add a ridge vent.
I'd strongly suggest using dimensional shingles, not 3 tabs! There easier to install, less waste, longer warrenty, and just look far better. (only draw back is they take special cap shingles that cost more)

Geographically, where are you, because you may also need a frost barrier.

1. How many layers of roofing are there now?

There are people who will strip, clean and haul your roofing for you.

You can rent a coil roofing nail gun.

I'll check for a permit, but I don't think one is required. Only because I don't remember my neighbor having to go through that with his(I helped him remove his shingles. He's a framer and has shingled houses before).

I'll have to snap a picture. Forgot to do that. I was going to either get rooftop delivery, or build a ramp to pull bundles up with one of those little 4 wheel furniture movers. I was planning on removing everything down to the decking and replacing anything that needed it. I do have a few ladders; extensions and a frames. I currently have gable and soffit vents. I'd consider dimensional shingles.

I'm in eastern NC. Winters are pretty mild here. I believe there is only 1 layer of roofing currently. I was hoping to do everything, including cleanup. I did hate helping my neighbor remove his shingles though. Big PITA. I thought about renting a gun, but I figured I could pick one up, use it for the job, and sell it, and still be out less $ than renting one. Especially if I don't get this done in a weekend.

A ramp would be a waste of time!
No way is one person going to be able to do this in one weekend.
Roof top delivery is great but the roof needs to be stripped and papered before it's delivered, and not likely there going to deliver on a weekend.
There also going to expect at least two people on site to unload them from the conveyor.
Never store the shingles on the roof laying over the peak of the roof!
They need to be spread out laying flat.
You could rent a laddervator, but even then it's a royal pain to lift them off the lift.

rooframp.JPG
I thought this was pretty cool. :p

I don't have to be done in a weekend. I don't want to get rained on, but I can take as long as needed. As far as delivery on weekend, I can do during week so that wouldn't be an issue.

20171105_114137.jpg

20171105_114018.jpg

20171105_113633.jpg

20171105_113605.jpg

Have you inspected the roof sheating from the attic to determine if you actually have any sheating damage?

Because if you do not have any sheating damage you do not need to remove, saving that and the 15lb. base sheet.

Most municipalities allow for three layers of composition shingles as the max. before they require them to be removed to the sheating.

You are at the right time of year for having the material roof loaded, delivery in my area hire football players to spread the material on the roof. 2 bundles under each arm.

Architectural shingles are an aesthetic upgrade.

Last edited:
I haven't inspected anything from the attic. In some places on the outside, you can see how the decking has bowed a little, pushing the ends that are on the rafters up to form a little point. Even if they aren't rotten, wouldn't it be a good idea to replace them?

That can also be caused by a bowed rafter, or a crowned rafter. I'd walk it, if you are reluctant to climb in the attic, and if the area seems soft or excessively pliable, then check the attic.

An area can be stripped and repaired, rather than stripping the entire roof, unnecessarily.

If you solo that you might could do it in a week (just because of lack of experience). I could solo that in two days ( just because I know exactly how and what to do) with all the right tools. Old shingle nail popper, coil nail gun, shingle lift, trailer for old shingles, hook blades, etc. My 1st house was about that size and took me a week with a hammer. Its a lot of work. Make sure you understand how to lay the starter strips at eave or you will have leaks and rot your overhang.

Last edited:
I've decided to wait til spring for this job. With the holidays coming up, and winter fast approaching, I don't want to rush. I talked to my neighbor's son who I found out used to be a roofer. He gave me some advice and he knows someone he used to work with who could come over and help. Fella seemed to be quality oriented and had an eye for detail. Plus he has tools so that will be a cost savings.

Thanks for all the advice. I hope to update this thread in the future.

I've decided to wait til spring for this job. With the holidays coming up, and winter fast approaching, I don't want to rush. I talked to my neighbor's son who I found out used to be a roofer. He gave me some advice and he knows someone he used to work with who could come over and help. Fella seemed to be quality oriented and had an eye for detail. Plus he has tools so that will be a cost savings.

Thanks for all the advice. I hope to update this thread in the future.
That sounds like a good plan. I'm glad you found someone local with knowledge who can help.

While you *could* reroof without stripping the old shingles off, I wouldn't. You can't easily inspect the roof deck, and the old shingles don't make a great base for the new shingles. Take the time and do it right. If you're in snow and ice country add the ice shield to the lower part of the roof. If you're feeling generous, you can apply it to the whole roof.

Latest posts

Back