Moving An Electrical Outlet / Cable Outlet

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shycas2008

Reaction score
Hello ! Recently bought a condo that was built in the 1980's.
Needless to say, there are no outlet / cable outlet near my fireplace.
WHICH I have recently hung my TV over the fireplace.
How hard would it be to move an outlet for both from bottom of opposite wall, to right under where I have hung the TV ? (The TV will hide both).
GAS fireplace that is NOT "in the wall, a line feeds it and it is sitting on ceramic tile. (Like that when I bought it.)

Depends on what is in between where the old outlet is and new one. Do you have an attic or basement below? If not then it could mean tearing open walls to run the new cables.

Not hard at all if you are comfortable with cutting into your drywall. I suggest you get help if you are uncomfortable with doing this but the basics are quite easy. While you are at it, make sure you pull a pair of HDMI cables for your electronics hook ups too. While one will suffice, if it fails, you will want a back up cable.

Also, you should consider a recessed box for the wall so your TV power and data plugs will not stick out from the wall. I used one like this for a high end installation and it was excellent. Many manufacturers available to match your situation.

box.jpg

Joe D -

Attic above, neighbor below.

The outlet is about 24 inches left from where the corner on the fireplace starts.
I imagine it's drywall and stud. The fireplace area is ceramic tile / wood and drywall.

I'm thinking

* Cut hole (near the outlet)
* Put hands in (breaker off to circuit)
* Pull staples and hot line
* Create new hole, outlet in, hot line to back of outlet.
* Patch hole

Or do it attic style ?

CallMeVilla,

I am fine with making the cuts, and turning off the breakers.
I am a FAN of the setup. (Brand Name ?)
Recessed didn't occur to me at all.
It seems easy enough with what was said.
I am thinking that once I get into the wall though, what if the hot line is too short to reach my new desired destination ? Would I cap new line to it and get it over there ?
I was thinking coat hanger / wooden dowel to get the cord over to the new spot.
And, do I secure the hot line with staples to the studs, or ?
Lots of questions !

Leave the wire in the old box and run another wire from there to the new box. If you are fishing a wire behind drywall I think you are foregivin for not stapling it. You can rent a fish tape.

CallMeVilla,

I am fine with making the cuts, and turning off the breakers.
I am a FAN of the setup. (Brand Name ?)
Recessed didn't occur to me at all.
It seems easy enough with what was said.
I am thinking that once I get into the wall though, what if the hot line is too short to reach my new desired destination ? Would I cap new line to it and get it over there ?
I was thinking coat hanger / wooden dowel to get the cord over to the new spot.
And, do I secure the hot line with staples to the studs, or ?
Lots of questions !

BRAND - Neal ran off ahead of me. (He must have had a slow day) Arlington makes the recessed boxes I use. Easily available online, not in any store. You will have to cut a stud-to-stud opening to allow for the recessed box but that makes fishing your wires that much easier!
WIRING - Silly boy! Just leave the existing receptacle and wire enough ROMEX off of it to position your new receptacle where you want it.
COAT HANGER - OMG, dude, I thought you were good at this? Easiest horizontal wiring is with fiberglass electrician's poles. You may have to cut smaller holes to guide your wiring but what the heck, it's only drywall! A fish tape will also work but they are harder to poke through an insulated wall. Where is the HDMI cable going to be located? You will have to fish those bad boys too.

Here is a basic video on handling wall fishing for HDMI but it can also be used for any cable.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwXAWsp9wps[/ame]

The trickey "pumpkin cut" is really useful. Saves time and hassle when you have to drill a fire break. Here is a supplementary video that show and explains ...

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86fM05JtZdo[/ame]

What Neal said. In cases like this you DO NOT "move" the existing wiring, you add new where you need it.

Thanks for the assistance Everyone!

Still a lot to learn - hence the membership to the community. THANKS AGAIN !!!
Saved me a lot of hassle ! I will post pictures when I have the chance !

Back