Saving Old Windows - Channels?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gib

Reaction score
I am trying to save some old double hung windows that have lead based paint. They are pre sash-weight units with nice wavy glass (4 over 4 panes). I intend to take out the bottom sash, secure the top sash so it is fixed, replace the parting bead and interior stops, plane off the window edges and seal them, and remove any flaking LBP in the tracks. I have been told someone in NJ manufactures aluminum channels for upgrading old window tracks and isolating the LBP. I assume it is just aluminum coil stock bent to order, but it would be worth having the resource. Anybody have contact info for this business? Anybody have any experience using them?
Thanks!
Gib
(Dead Centre, PA)

Thanks Nealtw! I took a look at them and will give them a try.
I found out the correct name is jamb liners and found a couple places that market vinyl ones. They are made for double hung but I should be able to slice off the one side and create 2 single hung liners.
Also a friend passed along a pdf copy of HUD's Lead Paint Safety (A Field Guide for Painting, Home Maintenance, and Renovation Work) which had some helpful information. I tracked down a link to it at: http://www.hud.gov/offices/lead/library/lead/LeadGuide_Eng.pdf
Gib

Follow-up:
Found some nice jamb liners at jrproductsinc.com (Bluffton IN) under Weatherstripping. They are vinyl with a flexible gasket.

Gib

Back