Winterizing rain barrel

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyover

Trying not to screw things up worse
Reaction score
I didn't even think about what to do with my rain barrel until today. It's been sitting out there all winter, and has definitely frozen solid at least once. The spigot at the bottom has been closed the whole time.

• - What are the odds the barrel is ruined, do you think?
  • - We're having a week of very warm weather. Supposing the barrel is already cracked, is it worth draining it and connecting a downspout extension to a diverter and all that, or just leave it be and worry about it in the spring?

More info: It's a plastic/resin barrel. It has a small rectangular opening for the downspout, so it's impossible to really get inside it with an arm or a tool for cleaning. One interesting feature is it has an integrated planter in the top. Out of the box, this was basically just a basin formed into the top of the barrel, but I drilled a few 1/4" holes in the bottom of the planter portion so that water didn't just sit in there when it filled up. (I'm not a big fan of either drowned plants or mosquitoes.) Then I made sure my overflow pipes originated at about the same height as the bottom of the planter basin.

Last edited:
Based on bowls and basins that I have seen frozen, the material expands usually rounding out the bottom, which makes it wobbly. If that has happened, you may not get it back into shape or you may get lucky. Any more frozen than that and you would be looking at a split in the side.
My understanding is that the sealed top is to keep the water in the barrel somewhat clean & fresh. If you have punched holes in the planter, you may be making soup in that barrel.

Based on bowls and basins that I have seen frozen, the material expands usually rounding out the bottom, which makes it wobbly. If that has happened, you may not get it back into shape or you may get lucky. Any more frozen than that and you would be looking at a split in the side.
My rain barrel does not appear to be wobbling.

My understanding is that the sealed top is to keep the water in the barrel somewhat clean & fresh. If you have punched holes in the planter, you may be making soup in that barrel.
I wish I had thought about that. There probably is some dirt in the bottom of my rain barrel from drilling those holes (I drilled 4 or 5 of them), but after a full summer with plenty of rain the water I was getting out of the barrel looked clear and I had no issues with flow. I expect the dirt in the bottom will build up until this is not the case, so I'll cross that bridge when I get there. (Or maybe I'll poly some fine screen in place over the holes if I'm smart and remember to.)

After I created this thread I did some DuckDuckGo-ing, read some articles on winterizing rain barrels, and decided to drain my rain barrel and leave the spigot open until spring, putting a downspout splash block under the spigot facing out toward the lawn. (Normally it sits under the overflow pipes.)

I have two to do too but being a cheapskate will likely try making one out what ever I can find laying around.:hide:
Well whaddaya think I meant by "look into it"??

Might be a cool project I take pictures of and post on here!

I was thinking poking a hole in the side of the down spout cut the top half of a 2" pvc pipe away and put that in the hole to catch the water, in the winter just pull that out and plug the hole.

Back