Removing grass from one area and putting it in another area

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swimmer_spe

Reaction score
I have a spot that I am going to remove grass from. I want to take it and put it down in another area where I want grass.
Any tricks to manually do it?
BF1478D5-C777-4983-89A7-2BDF835676E3_zpsvamikffy.jpg

E0FAAA77-F718-49A9-9A80-76B945705F2F_zpsypcrnb7c.jpg

You may find that the effort is not worth it when compared to seeding the new area. If your grass is awesome, well maybe it would be worth it. Remember that any weeds and bugs from the old spot will be transferred to the new spot.
Unless you are filling a hole, the new spot will be higher by the amount of sod you lay down. I have done it in areas that are subject to erosion, where the seed doesn't get a chance to take root, and I have had mixed results. But even where the old grass did not survive, the soil and root systems helped fill the area and slow down wash-out.

You may find that the effort is not worth it when compared to seeding the new area. If your grass is awesome, well maybe it would be worth it. Remember that any weeds and bugs from the old spot will be transferred to the new spot.
Unless you are filling a hole, the new spot will be higher by the amount of sod you lay down. I have done it in areas that are subject to erosion, where the seed doesn't get a chance to take root, and I have had mixed results. But even where the old grass did not survive, the soil and root systems helped fill the area and slow down wash-out.

I need to remove the grass from one area anyways. I would rather use it somewhere than just throw it out.

Where it will go is in a high traffic area, so having a quick start would be good.

When I edge my driveway or sidewalks or flower beds I end up with a couple wheelbarrow loads of sod chunks. I have a few low spots in the yard I’m slowly filling in and I toss the pieces in one at a time with the grass up and the roots down right on top of other grass and then walk on it to pack it down level. It greens right up and I’m mowing it the next week. It is nice having sod in flat rolls but you don’t have to have it that way. I have cut a lot of sod over the years with just a regular shovel. They do make a special sod cutting shovel but not worth the cost to use on one little job.

Back