Looking at an older house to buy

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryce

Reaction score
Not really sure but this house is suppose to be 80-100 years old. It was bought by a 'flipper' who has had it renovated and now selling it.
The house looks good but i notice some strange things, the bathroom has been renovated but they kept the old toilet and replaced everything including the seat. When i flushed i noticed it didn't flush that well, kind of a low pressure. Do you think this is a sign there is something wrong with plumbing? I'm guessing they planned to replace the toilet and found a problem? (of course the agent is mum's about any of these questions.)
In the kitchen too was renovate but they only installed one sink, i looked underneath and notice the the instillation was bit unusual. I wonder if this another sign of problem?
The electrical was replaced but i found some light switches to be not working.

Do think these are serious red flags? I will get a house survey down but i was wonder what your opinion was?
Could these thing be potentially expensive to repair?

byrce, welcome to House Repair Talk.

I would first off recommend for YOU to hire a home inspector of YOUR choosing, not the Realtors. It should be well worth the expense. And remember, house flippers are usually more interested in making a buck than making improvements properly. Not always...

My opinion is that in today's market, you should be looking at newer homes with a zero tolerance for issues. If this one has some questionable features, move on to the next home.

Latest posts

Back