Leaking Window Vs. Child with Leukemia

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aviram

Reaction score
We have a badly constructed wall that leaks water into the house when it rains.

My guess is that the tar paper was not applied correctly under the stucco, and/or around the windows.

It has been like that since we did the remodel four winters ago, and until now, we just placed plastic containers and cotton diapers on the carpet, as it does not rain hard that much around here, about three to four times a winter.

I tried caulking around the windows, and spraying a cement sealer (do not remember the name) to no avail.

What would you recommend short of tearing down the wall and rebuilding it?

My daughter is being treated for leukemia, and doctors say we cannot do any sort of construction in/near the house, on the other hand, we need to repair the leak and resolve any fungi/mold issues which might kill her now that she has highly compromised immune system due to the chemo.

are there any sealers that might work better in this situation?

is it possible to do another layer of tar paper/chicken wire/stucco on top of existing stucco? if so, how do you seal around the existing window?

whatever we do, had to be done externally, no dust, and has to be very affordable, as we are all out of money.

thanks,

-avi

Welcome to the Forum Avi:
I'm really sorry to hear about your daughter's leukimea. I have lost my Mother and a Brother to similar cancers.
I would recommend that you try to dig out any caulking you have around the window and replace it with a silicone caulk, keeping in mind that cracks over 1/4" wide will need foam cord to back-up the caulk. Look at everything above the window too; the rain may be comming in at a much higher palce and running down. After the caulking is done you can use a garden sprayer to spray the wall area with silicone (liquid) for a more complete seal. The spray silicone works a little like wax on your car; it beads the water and makes it run off rather than soak in.
Glenn

I agree with glennjanie try and re-caulk . Take a look at the flashings above the windows. also look at the roof.(do not walk on the roof if you can avoid it and use caution, one sick person is enough) This sounds like a big leak, not stucco that has not been sealed, as that would leak all the time and probably less water. I also am afraid that you may have some sort of mold issue in the wall now. Hard to say without seeing it and knowing how much and how often water gets in (it may leak sometimes and you may not know it, because it's not enough to see) I would have word with the contractor also. Think like water, then think like water blown by the wind.

I don't like being the one to say it...no sugar coating here,

You need a stucco inspection done ASAP. With a stucco home you could have any number of issues. The only way to be certain about how to remedy or even control the existing water conditions is to have a qualified Home Inspector who does what is called an EIFS test.(Exterior insulation finishing system)
Basically this is a standard observation with moisture meters which may or may not penetrate the stucco..depends on the meter. A more expensive meter will cost more for a test.
Then doing some exploratory after a reading of over 40 percent is also common. This way you can see what is happening to your area with damage and plan some ideas from there.

You need a good professional to lead you in the correct direction with something as important as your child. Just caulking will not be sufficient .
There are 10,000 kinds of mold and you need to know what you are dealing with to make an educated decision.

I know this is a hard thing to face, but some times folks need to move out of homes with these issues for a while.

I am not trying to be an alarmist and don't know it all...better to know your issue and be educated of it...than cover it over or hope for a quick fix.

I hope for the best for you...Let us know of any developments.

Try ASHI.com for a good qualified inspector.

I agree with Inspector "D",

Wow, I'm a poet and didn't even know it.

Latest posts

Back