major repairs on supporting beams

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freewilly

Reaction score
Hello all

My neighbour is doing some major repairs to her home, replacing supporting beams etc.... I am trying to attach an image for an outside opinion. I just dont want the house falling down on ours. Any opinions are welcome

tnx freewilly
SDC15642b.jpg

From what we can see it looks good. At anytime with the best of plans, crap can happen, but this looks like it is under control

I dont see any obvious red flags. I would be surprised if there was a permit pulled and that it would pass inspection. But I dont see the structure falling down. As a neighbor I would be happy they are fixing the place up and hopefully it will look nice when done. Maybe offer to help clean up during the weekend I doubt they will except but it will be a nice hint to clean up thier yard..

Well after a major quake 6.7 at 8 pm yesterday. I guess it passes the test for sturdiness! Funny that was my main worry all along. It looks all butt ugly and it will be that way for a while until the whole place is fixed up.
appreciate the opinions

I an guessing, there was a deck across the back of the house and this is a good example of how not to attach a deck to a house. Good to here all is well after the quake. Might not have done so well before they did this work.

Yes there was a deck. Our deck is need of repair, but nothing compared to the neighbours. We live in a very very wet north west community, you have to be on top of it and have the best roof you can afford.
I am surprised more damage didnt happen, and trigger a landslide or flood as we are getting lots of spring run off. We are about 100km from the epicenter the quake. Never felt anything like it before.

So you catch a lot of rain up there?;) Every time I've been near there the sun was shinning but that was many times.
That house had an obvious mistake, Take a photo of your deck where it meets the house from above.

I am surprised more damage didnt happen

Maybe it did.

These specs are for a vehicle before it's seen any action.
http://www.google.com/search?q=chas...tion.com%2Ftech%2Fbodybuilder70.htm;2447;1743
If you had the B4 dims for your house you might find them now slightly changed.

Speakinawhich, does anybody know the rules for condemning a house?
We had a quake which I thought was a heavy truck driving by (but it lasted 30 seconds).

There must be a map for everything. . .
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Virginia_earthquake,_Aug_23.jpg

Last edited:
Stick built houses are extremely good in these midrange earthquakes. Newer house are built to a much higher standard but that is to be ready for the much bigger quake that we hope we don't get.

Maybe it did.
On closer inspection of our place, the kitchen sink cup detached from the black plastic pipe, easy enough to reattach, but yeah Im still looking to if anything else shifted or broke
Newer house are built to a much higher standard but that is to be ready for the much bigger quake that we hope we don't get.

On the west coast it will happen, a 'mega thruster' hopefully not in my lifetime
Most of the homes here are slopped together as this was a company town and the company had them constructed. Maybe the only redeeming thing is they were allowed to use quality timber from the mill.
The mill is long closed now, be we have a small mill, (business is picking up and they have a source of fine wood product) they will sell some very nice wood products you will never find at the big box stores.

hopefully not in my lifetime
Sounds like you will get your wish.
". . . giving an estimate of a recurrence interval for large and megathrust earthquakes of about 500 years. However, it appears that the time between major shaking events can stretch up to about a 1,000 years. . . "

Or not.
"The last megathrust earthquake originating from the Cascadia subduction zone occurred in 1700 AD. Therefore, we are now in the risk zone of another earthquake. Even though it could be tomorrow or perhaps even centuries before it occurs, . . . "

With the average age of civilizations being 500 years it's hard to say which will collapse first. :D

Last edited:
Back