Kitchen Can Lights, How Many?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomask

Reaction score
We are starting reno on our 1987 era kitchen. It currently has a track light fixture on ceiling. We would like to remove track and replace with 4-6 can lights. Kitchen floor area is 10x10 feet with ceiling approx 9 x 9 feet due to soffits. How many lights needed? We do have undercounter lights and one can light already in over the sink. Plan to add two pendants also over bar area.

Thanks for ideas.

There really isn't any rule of thumb for lighting it's more of a personal preference in what you'd like to achieve.
I've got 3 on one side of the kitchen spaced approx. 4-5ft. apart and only one on the other side of the kitchen. Each set has it's own switch so I can throttle down/up the lights as needed.

There really isn't any rule of thumb for lighting it's more of a personal preference in what you'd like to achieve.
I've got 3 on one side of the kitchen spaced approx. 4-5ft. apart and only one on the other side of the kitchen. Each set has it's own switch so I can throttle down/up the lights as needed.

Thanks kok328

Are your lights 65 watts each? Do you have plenty of light?

My first plan is to add four can lights spaced about 3 feet apart. I will have them on one switch but with a dimmer. There would be 4-65 watt br30 floodlight bulbs = 260 watts light.
The original overhead box will either get a small decorative ceiling light on separate switch or I will have to patch the ceiling, which is another issue.

BTW Finished trim around two pantry doors this afternoon and looks much improved. That dadgum last carpenter never finished them out.:confused:

Hey, that guy was me.:D

Yes, I have 65W indoor floods in them. I tried 65W CFL's but, they weren't bright enough so I took them out and put the originals back in. Seems to be adequate lighting for me. the bank of 3 lights is over the cooking area and the other light is over the dining table.

I agree those CFLs just do not have the same light it seems.

They also have a tone that makes food look like you are back in an elementary school cafeteria.

At 9' the spread should be about 4' with 6" lights. Its best to overlap alittle and when in doubt go with more light and add a dimmer.

At 9' the spread should be about 4' with 6" lights. Its best to overlap alittle and when in doubt go with more light and add a dimmer.

ohmy

Do you feel four would work ok? I will be adding a dimmer but the ceiling dimensions are only 8 x 8 feet and I don't want a swiss cheese look if you know what I mean. How many can be run off one switch?

thomask, no problem running 4 fixtures off one switch.
Formula: Wattage of fixture time number of fixtures divided by 120 Volts less than or equal to 15 Amps.
So (4) 80Watt fixtures on a 120Volt circuit would be 2.7 Amps on a 15 Amp light switch.
(4*80)/120=2.6666~

thomask, no problem running 4 fixtures off one switch.
Formula: Wattage of fixture time number of fixtures divided by 120 Volts less than or equal to 15 Amps.
So (4) 80Watt fixtures on a 120Volt circuit would be 2.7 Amps on a 15 Amp light switch.
(4*80)/120=2.6666~

Thanks kok328

Do you feel 4 cans on a 8x8 foot ceiling is enough or is 5 or 6 better?

4 cans should provide ample lighting, assuming you don't need a greater amount of light for other reasons.
You could go with more and use the dimmer and/or install one in the middle of the room where you said there used to be a fixture. With the under-counter lights and sink light, you should be fine. The cans I have are the type you can aim so you can target cooking & eating areas. You can always add more if you need them.

Thanks everyone, wood floor just got down so now I need to start on kitchen.

Moving stove from bar to wall by refer.

Need to move cabinets also.

old dog/ new trick

will do, standby for some pics, have been in Alaska last week just got home

Please excuse me for the delay. Hey this retirement thing is keeping me awful busy. ;)

Kitchen has really been taking shape here this year and I want to bring you some pics of what has been happening.

First pic is of kitchen as it was before starting remodel with dark green wallpapper. Wife did a super job on getting all the paper removed and it gave me motivation to get going. Took her most all day and filled up a large container. It got a lot brighter all of a sudden!

Discovered two base cabinets had water damage and the boxes had to be replaced. Used "real wood" this time and got them back nice and solid for new counters. You know that old carpenter never did trim out the pantry doors when he built the place in 87. Wife had a real good talk with him and he finally got off his &%% and did them right.

You can see the trac lights needing to be replaced with can lights. The old original Jenn Aire had served many years but needed to be replaced with a smooth top. Dishwasher and refer had already been replaced along with water heater. Bar front paneling to be replaced with white bead board.

feb2010 032.jpg

june 2011 home vetts 002.jpg

june 2011 home vetts 010.jpg

July2011 002.jpg

FATHERS DAY CAR SHOW 6 2011 005.jpg

Last edited:
My kitchen is also small. I brought my guys that work for me a case of 6, 6" can lights (because there cheaper by the case) and told them to install just 4 of them. I came home and they had installed all 6, of them, way to bright and now I have planes circling my house looking for a place to land.
One really important thing is if there's attic an attic above and no living space you need IC (in contact) air tite cans. If not there's going to be air blowing in and no way to put insulation over them.

Ever thought about LED under cabinet and can lighting?

My kitchen is also small. I brought my guys that work for me a case of 6, 6" can lights (because there cheaper by the case) and told them to install just 4 of them. /quote]

Hey Joecaption,

Thanks, I agree four on a dimmer is probably plenty as the ceiling is like 8x 8 feet due to the cabinet valances. I do have one can light already over the sink. That would make five x 65 watts of downlighting plus I am replacing the under cabinet lights to have five puck lights over the countertops. Also plan two pendants over the bar area. The new tops are dark green/black and need light.

Will get IC cans same as rest of house. Even have some rope lights hidden over wet bar.:D

Here are more pics to bring you up to date. Wet bar area before remodel, pantry before trim, pantry doors after trim before final paint.

What do you think?

Labor Day 2010 200.jpg

Labor Day 2010 290.jpg

4008AlaskaSeptOct 005.jpg

4008AlaskaSeptOct 004.jpg

Last edited:
You expressed a plan to patch the hole where the existing fixture is/was. You cannot bury that box if there are any live circuits running thru it.
As far as the cans go... I actually like track lighting. If it were me, I would probably put a new track up with more stylish exposed lamp heads on it. Maybe a low voltage with mr16 lamps. < grins >

You expressed a plan to patch the hole where the existing fixture is/was. You cannot bury that box if there are any live circuits running thru it.

Yes evstarr good point. I will remove the box and then run switched wire to the first can light. Then wire to other cans.

I have a plan for the track lights to be moved into the garage.;)

Guess you all see this kitchen is just a part of total makeover.:eek:

Pics of remodel of stereo cabinet built in, Note: Before pic at left. Another one of those things original carpenter never finished LOL

Electrical, CTV and speaker wiring. Used mostly scrap wood for cabinet. Note beadboard sides, trim added not shown. Plan is to replicate this cabinet as a wine rack in wet bar area to match.

4008AlaskaSeptOct 088.jpg

Louisiana Baton Rouge 11 2010 111.jpg

Louisiana Baton Rouge 11 2010 127.jpg

Louisiana Baton Rouge 11 2010 140.jpg

MarchJune2010 244.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Old Dog: these pics are for you...

We did change plans to not move appliance locations. we are using original cabinets with new stain and new counters. All has been painted including ceiling. New floor in kitchen to be some type hard tile. New lights and some type backsplash to come soon.

Back