I live in Florida.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deckman

Reaction score
I live in Florida and I was wondering on which type of deck would be the best. I want to go with the wood but im not sure. We have hurricanes almost every year, and when we dont it is 100 degress out. Need some help. Thanks in advance.

Hey Deckman,
I recommend you use Western Red Cedar wood for your decking. I truly think this is your best shot because the Western Red Cedar holds up well in rain, sun, heat, and cold. The only thing about this type of wood is that it splinters fairly easy but with good treatment it could last very long.

Good luck!

Western Red Cedar is VERY durable. Should be a good wood for your deck. The great part about using the wood is that its extremely easy to cut. Should be able to get a smoothe edge.

I was looking at that online and it seems to be my best option. Thanks for the help guys!

I hate to disagree but I would think cedar would be a poor choice for florida. Why?
Beacuse florida is flat so most decks would be low to the ground & because of the moisture, lots of rains/humidity. I've seen many cedar decks rot in 7-8 years time in those situations. I would recommend using ipe, no wood is better for decks. It will cost you more upfront, but in the long haul it will save you money because of it's longevity.

Al

Why not look at a raised patio on galvanized steel with stone tiles?

I want to know that have you already use cedar for your wood deck? How's it performance? Can you share it with us? I have great interesting on it, too.

Florida with all that sun? Here in Michigan we are replacing cedar floors after only 10-11 years. I think treated wood if you can get kiln dried [because of the shrinkage}. Other wise some of the South American woods would be best.

Back