Basement question not answered in other threads.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdoc6

Reaction score
I hate starting new threads when others exist but just can't find the exact answer i am looking for.
What i have now: Just cleared up the last of the leaky issues in basement so I am ready to finish. The problem is that the basement was partially finished before i purchased home. Exterior walls are framed and drywalled (looks like a pretty good job on squareness and finish on drywall).

Problem: no insulation. I have no problem taking the drywall down and starting over but what about the framing?

My question: can I get away with keeping the framing in place and creating a warm cozy living space?
and how would i do this?
as simple as seal walls (drylock), insulation, vapor barried, then drywall?

Welcome TDoc:
That sounds like a plan to me. If you use fiberglass batts to insulate, you can have the vapor barrier on the insulation. I would staple the flanges on the sides of the studs so there will be a clean place to glue the drywall.
Glenn

When you open the walls by removing the drywall make sure there is an inch space between the 2x4 framing and the block wall. If the walls are dry and you have this space just insulate with R13 with the vapor barrier on the inside of the wall. If the walls are wet you will need to stop the leaking. If you have no air space I would re frame it. You want the space to allow the walls to breath and not allow your insulation to soak up moisture throw the block.
Hopefully there is a space it will save you allot of work.
Have fun.

well bad news, punched a hole on the finished part and the framing is up against the block (no moisture though). Could I pull the framing away (about an inch from wall) and re attach after moving? I don't want to sound cheap but if it works...great.

That will do fine. It might be a bit hard to break it away from the floor but it is fine if you can do it. You may need to re shim the top to make it tight. Get all the rock off first so you can see what your doing. Watch for any electrical or plumbing lines that might be running through the studs. Electrical wires will probably make the 1" move but plumbing will not.

Back