Purchasing old DIY farmhouse-what to look for?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwmainer

Reaction score
Hi all... newbie here with a question.

My DH and I are actively searching for acreage/farm in Maine. We are looking to buy a fixer-upper with land. My DH is a surveyor and I'm a blacksmith. There are few DIY projects we won't tackle.

Question: What sorts of things should we be looking or watching for when inspecting a ... say.... farmhouse from the 1800's? What are the 'make' or 'break' ers? ???

Looking for advice, opinions, and fellow success/horror stories of doing the same thing.

Thanks!
kwmainer

Hire a local Home inspector. Try American Society of Home Inspectors, ASHI for a professional.
The things you will miss are to much money to even start on an 1800's home.
This is the cheapest way to find out what you are up against. I tell folks, I will save you $500 in the first 10 minutes by finding something you could not.
Good luck, sounds like a nice venture.:)

Thanks for the reply... and yes! We do intend to do as you say.

I wasn't all that clear in my question. I'm wondering what to 'look' for in the properties that come before us for consideration. Before we even get to the hire-the-inspector and Make-an-offer stage.

For example, what about..

When do cracks in foundations of houses that old... signal a major problem? Are there different issues with say, ledge/hand laid fieldstone foundations?

Are there special issues with old farmhouse roofs or even bearing walls? In northern maine, what is the best/favorable roof pitch or design?

That's kinda the information I'm looking for.

But you are oh, so right.... we will hire that inspector. And I've bookmarked the website. Thanks so much!

Back