Here's a good one

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akradar

Reaction score
I have an older home with attached garage. I keep the freezer out there, and it was plugged into an outlet. I came home from fishing (caught a couple HUGE halibut) and the freezer was off. Checked all the usual and went to replace the fuse at the panel. Unscrewed old, screwed in new, same type and amp rating. Pop! Tried again, and pop. Now I got flashbulb-eyes, and fish that needs to be frozen. Got the fish stored and all, and ran a temp cord to the house inside. Problem is this. There are NO other connections except this freezer and another outlet that are on this run. I disconnected the final receptacle in the run, but no help. I checked for voltage in the freezer outlet and got a real minimal reading with the fuse pulled from the box. I thought it should be zero. What could be causing this? :confused:

Hello AKRadar:
Yes the outlet should show zero voltage. The only thing I can think of is that there may be a common, common on 2 circuts and the other one is back feeding through the one that's turned off. When electricity is being used from a cable both the black and white wire will have current on them. Let us know how it turns out.
Glenn

If you are using a digital meter you may very well be getting a reading. This is phantom voltage and is not real. It is induced from other sources.

Did you take apart the other receptacle on that circuit yet?

Yeah, actually I went to bare wires on the far end. (then capped them) Still no real answer on the mystery. With nothing plugged in, I still pop fuses. WTH? There are only 2 boxes on this circuit and I took them both off line.:confused:

Back