Basement insulation?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveX

Reaction score
Our house was built in 1914. Like a lot of you I'm sure, since we moved in 6 years ago we've found questionable 'fixes' by previous owners. One thing I'm wondering about is the fact that our unfinished basement has insulation between most of the ceiling joists. I'm not sure why it's there and I'm wondering if it contributes to the extremely high humidity in the summer. We have a dehumidifier down there which helps a lot but it's still warm and uncomfortable. I believe that someone lived down there at some point and I'm wondering if they put it up there to keep it warmer in the winter.
At any rate, I'm just wondering if it's necessary as I'd like to take it out if it's not.

The debate on this question has been around a long time. If I lived in Minnesota , and I had high humidity in the basement..I would remove it. It tends to hold moisture ...then mold. If you can save it in bags do so. If it does not change it was not the problem and you probably need a better dehumidifier or another one.
Sometimes if you upgrade those single pane basement windows you can make some change in the levels...and save heat in winter.
I would suggest you google to building science .com if you need way more info.It is the best resource with correct info I know of.

Back