Help! Problem with patio

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eagle

Reaction score
Hi,

We have a new 1500 sq ft tiled patio with concrete base installed by a contractor.

During a big rainstorm, water pooled all over the patio. It was evident that the concrete base is not sloped properly to drain water away from the house.

At various edges of the patio, the elevation varies from 1/8" to 1 1/2" different from the lowest point of the patio.

The contractor admits to the defects and wants to come in and correct the problem by shaving off the high points.

What are the pros and cons of this approach?

Will this compromise the integrity of the concrete and promote cracking of the concrete and consequently the tiles?

Should we ask for them to rip out the whole porch and start all over again?

I'm not educated enough to agree or disagree with the contractor's suggested fix?

Would appreciate any help.

Thanks,
eagle

I would insist on replacement. Shaving the high spots will only eliminate the deeper pools. Should be sloped enough to fully drain away from the house. Standing water at all will create ice spots in the winter and cause seapage into the grout that will distroy it fairly quick.

Hi Eagle:
I would call the local building code Inspector, Home Builder's Association and the Better Business Bureau. Between these three I think they will bring heat on the contractor's behind and he will be glad to tear the whole thing out and redo it.
Glenn

Back