Door inside of closet

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bg4

Reaction score
Good morning,

We purchased a home and after moving in we found out that inside the master closet, a small door has been added to access a portion of the attic.

However, there is no insulation and my closet is very cold in the winter and very hot in summer. I'd like to fix this, as it's rather silly and inefficient. The door is hollow and quite flimsy.

Any suggestions on how I should fix it? Should I have an insulated door installed or can I have the hole patched up and insulated?

Appreciate any suggestions. I've attached a couple pictures. :beer:

Edit: for gooder grammar

IMG_20140202_102847_947.jpg

IMG_20140202_102931_318.jpg

:welcome: to House Repair Talk!

I would leave the door there if it were my house. I would caulk all the voids around the door frame, insulate any of the knee wall that doesn't have insulation and take construction adhesive and put some solid Styrofoam insulation on the back of the door. You want to have insulation and stop air flow into the closet. Also check the walls in the bedroom for missing or dislodged insulation.

Just my:2cents:

What you need is a insulated zippered access, similar to a storm door or as stated above, secure some rigid foam insulation on the attic side of the door.

Last edited:
Insulate the space! You can finish the trim by doing what OldDog says (always obey OldDog) but your problem is NOT the door, it is the lack of insulation in the space. Once you take care of that problem, your temperature issues will go away.

DOG OBEY.JPG

OK, fine ... rat dogs suck ... you obviously missed the humor because Moderators are always sooooo serious ... This is more pointed

LAB.jpg

Any attic area that is more than 100 sq ft should have an access, that doesn't mean it needs to be a door as such, just smething you can get into. I would rmove the door and frame insulate and add vapour barrier cover it with an oversize peice of drywall screwed in place. slip some plastic trim over the edges of the drywall and don't fill it.

Back