Two 6" air intakes in unfinished basement...

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soparklion11

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I own a 75 yr old home - 2 stories with basement - that had an HVAC upgrade installed ~20 yrs ago. I sealed and insulated the attic, but the 2nd floor remains chilly in fall/winter and warm in the summer despite air conditioning.

There are two 6" round air return ducts that open to a ceiling space over the plaster my basement, approximately 15 ft from the heater/air exchange unit.

I blame the open vent pipes for the lack of air exchange in the remainder of the house. Is it reasonable to just blank them off? There is a large 10x24" return duct next to the two round ducts. I realize that I don't want to starve my furnace.

It's possible that the walls aren't insulated enough to keep it cozy. In any case, I don't think it would be too hard to put a temporary stopper in those two ducts and see what happens. Maybe just stuff some insulation in and watch for results. It's easy to remove if you feel the effect is negative.

You'll need to determine where the other end of the 6" ducts are, because they may well be combustion air.

Conditioned air is a closed system.

Back