basement room under porch

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prh44

Reaction score
I have a basement room under my front porch.I recently framed and decked the porch. I framed the floor installed 3/4"decking on the joist. Installed 1/2"rigid insulation then a rubber roof. Installed treated sleepers on the roof and installed deck boards. The issue I have is condensation on the bottom side around the perimeter and on each fastener holding down the rigid foam were they penetrated the plywood. I have experienced mold growth in theses areas
I could vent this room and leave it as unheated space like a crawl or attic.
I am not sure if this will solve the problem.
Could insulate? Maybe install rigid foam board between the joist? Spray foam?
I am concerned about trapping water.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Sop the nails transport cold thru the foam and water from warm moist air is condensing around the nails.

So what you need is insulation and vapour barrier below that. After you have killed the mold and dried the area.
You did approach this the wrong way. It should have been floor joists with 2x4 s on the flat going the other way with the 2x4 area vent to outside air.
Then insulation below with a vapour barrier.

NealTW thank you for your reply.I will post some photos of how I did this.
Do you think a closed cell spry foam would be the way to go?

NealTW thank you for your reply.I will post some photos of how I did this.
Do you think a closed cell spry foam would be the way to go?

I do understand what you have.
Any insulation that stops warm moist air from reaching the area around the nails will give you a better chance of success, The nails canceled any protection the foam above was supposed to give you.

Back