DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > General Discussion > General Chit-Chat > What did you do today?

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.

Old 07-10-2017, 09:39 AM  
Gary
Liked 160 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I was shooting all over the place, seeing what the camera would do. I'd had it about 2 hours at the time I took these.
I shot photo #2 at 1/3200.
Here's a blow up of that shot. You can see it pretty much stopped the beed lock bolts on the rear wheel, and this is about 1/2 track, probably in the neighborhood of 250MPH at that point.

Click image for larger version

Name:	NHRA Rt66 2017 42.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	14281  
zannej Likes This 
Old 07-10-2017, 12:24 PM  
slownsteady
Administrator
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1129 Times on 935 Posts
Likes Given: 1846

Nice. I love that the heat distortion in the air is so frozen

Old 07-10-2017, 01:00 PM  
Chris
Guru of nothing
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1002 Times on 746 Posts
Likes Given: 107

Today I am on day 4 and hour 46 on getting a rental back on the market. I don't know how people can live like this place was left.
zannej Likes This 
Old 07-13-2017, 06:25 PM  
joecaption
Liked 247 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Today was a joy trying to work with a 105 deg. heat index, mowed and wacked 3 yard then went to a big job I'm working on that looks like no one has lived in the house for 30 years.
The back yard was covered with trees so there was shade but there's also 10' high bamboo that I have to plow through with my DR Field and Brush mower.
I ran into concrete blocks, dozens of clay plant pots, bird baths, a night stand, rolls of wire.
Then I ran over an old rotted stump that housed a yellow jacket nest and got stung about 20 times.
I sprayed it down with wasp killer and started on the other side of the yard and ran into another nest and got stung again from head to toe.
God was trying to tell me something so I gave up and went home.
nealtw Likes This 
Old 07-13-2017, 11:54 PM  
Chris
Guru of nothing
HRT_ADMIN.png

You should have brought beer and a camera. That sounds like my life

Old 07-13-2017, 11:59 PM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Liked 2915 Times on 2556 Posts
Likes Given: 4800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
You should have brought beer and a camera. That sounds like my life
When I read it I thought it was you.

Old 07-14-2017, 10:43 AM  
zannej

Liked 490 Times on 355 Posts
Likes Given: 2858

Been busy driving people places. Friend's gf needed a lift to a doctor's appointment. Ran in to a few of her co-workers at the office. Met one who is a friend of my brother's and who wants to get the same kind of truck we have. Showed him the trunk and the features.

Leads have gone cold on the chick who robbed my other friend-- cops didn't even try to look for her. She's probably left the state by now. I surprised my friend by giving him a 4TB hard drive. Poor kid was speechless. I thought he was going to cry for a moment and then he gave me a big hug and thanked me. I also gave him some food because I know he couldn't afford any. Not only did he get robbed, but McDonalds decided to short most of the employees by an entire week of their paychecks. So, he only got half of what he was expecting and they told him they won't pay it until next paycheck (in two weeks). Don't know how they can get away with that crap. And they don't let employees eat the food that gets messed up that is supposed to be thrown out. They have to throw out all the leftovers or mistakes or they get fired. So, even though he works at a food place, he can't bring stuff home and it just gets wasted. He's only 21 so hopefully he'll be able to move up and find a better job though.

The weather here has alternated between being suffocatingly hot with high humidity and raining (which only makes it cooler bc of the clouds).

This morning I took my cat to the vet for her monthly shots & when I got back home and parked, my red dog for some reason sat right next to the tire before I took my foot off the brake (after putting it in park). Next thing I know the dog is yelping up a storm. I got out to go see what the situation was and the tire had rolled back on her tail. I had to get back in and pull forward a couple inches. Fortunately it was just the edge so it only pinched and she was fine afterward. She's not the brightest dog in the world.
nealtw Likes This 
Old 07-16-2017, 07:50 PM  
Gary
Liked 160 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Just got back from a weekend at Keystone Raceway in Adrian PA. Got a bunch of cool shots from the wall at the starting line. Time to hit the hay now though, early day tomorrow.

Old 07-16-2017, 10:25 PM  
Chris
Guru of nothing
HRT_ADMIN.png

Gary, I live about 15 minutes from firebird raceway in eagle, idaho. Still haven't made it out there yet but I hope I get a chance this summer.

I just got home from the mountains, tied a house into the sewer and abandoned the septic. Neighbors let me borrow their cabin on the lake, was a good time.
havasu Likes This 
Old 07-17-2017, 01:34 AM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Liked 2915 Times on 2556 Posts
Likes Given: 4800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I think the wire was too thick. Truck had 350,000 miles on it and almost ten years old when it went out. It was a work truck since day one and who knows how many thousands of times the door was opened. Or they pulled the wires too tight. It was about an 8 gauge wire.
10 wires all broken or damaged in two more places, 20 soldered splices in tight area.