How high will an Amana Washer pump water?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BKrause269

Reaction score
I live in a rural area with a septic system. The washer is located in the basement and is currently emptying into a pit that is pumped by a sump pump up about 7 feet to go to the septic tank.
I would like to connect the washer directly to the drain line and bypass the sump pump. It would have to be able to pump about 7 feet above the floor to where the drain leaves the house.

Thanks in advance for your advice
Bob Krause
Southwestern Michigan

Welcome BKrause:
I used a washer pumping 8' high for several years, with no problem. It had been draining into the sump pump also and I finally figured out it could be pumped only once.
Glenn

I have a similar question. My washer (Whirpool) is located in the basement and is about 4 feet below the main line leading out to the sewer. Generally, how high can a washer pump water out? Currently, I have it draining into a utility sink with a pump attached to pump it up the four feet to the waste line. This set up isn't too bad, but just for future reference i would like to know if generally washers are meant to pump water up a few feet in instances like this, so that when I re-do the work room the washer is in (its a bit dingy in there) I could just do away with the pump. Thanks.

Hello CDoug:
Your washer can be hooked up directly to the drain; uase a 2" trap and a 24" tall stand pipe to hook the hose into. You may need a hose extension to reach that high but the stand pipe keeps the water from overflowing the drain.
I haven't heard a rating on the washer pump but I would bet it would pump 15' high with out any strain.
Glenn

Back