Stair risers/treads

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdbaggs

Reaction score
I've removed the carpeting and am putting down new 1" solid maple treads and am covering existing pine risers with new 1/4 inch pine that will be painted white. Treads will be stained. Nothing is completely true or 100% level and I'm trying to figure if the tread should go down first with potential gaps being left under bottom of riser edge. Or, should the risers go on first, then treads, leaving potential gaps at head of tread. I think I'll be caulking afterward with clear silicone(?).
Thanks, Mike

That is why they often use treads with a thicker bullnose at the front so it hides to top of the riser. I would start with the top tread and then fit the riser tight to that and then push the next tread tight to that riser and so on.

And if you plan on painting, don't use pure silicone caulk. It doesn't take paint very well.

Bridgeman, what should I caulk with? P.S. My mother is from Yoncalla, an Applegate (pioneer family), I'm from Hermiston, OR, but now reside in Buffalo NY. Thanks
And if you plan on painting, don't use pure silicone caulk. It doesn't take paint very well.

Any quality, paintable caulk would work adequately. I'd use a brand-name, 35-year or 50-year product myself.

Funny thing, we just drove through Yoncalla this afternoon (just a half-hour south of us) while enjoying the sunshine after several days of heavy snow. Don't you miss the wide open spaces of Hermiston?

Ya, I miss greenery in the valley, the ocean, the mountains and the desert. There's no place like home!

Back