Bad block foundation options

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Northeast1973

Reaction score
I have 2 story home on an old deteriorating block foundation. It leaks like an open faucet whenn it rains heavy. I understand the process of jacking the house up 6"+ to replace it, and with that face losing my front porch, my deck on the back, and possibly cracking walls and ceilings on first and/or second floors. My question, is it possible to excavate the entire foundation and fill the blocks on the exterior with concrete and patch it? I know I can have walls poured inside the foundation in the basement to structurally support it, as an alternative. But that wont stop the water from coming in and I will eventually lose my basement that way. Just looking for advice options. Any help is appreciated.

Welcome to the site. There are or other options, like jack it up to just to take the weight off the wall and replace the block wall or poor a concrete wall 8" low and finish it with a row of blocks.

You need a two-pahse approach ... repair the damage and stop the water. As Neal properly indicates, you can jack and replace the damaged wall blocks, instead of raising the entire house.

However, you need to excavate the perimeter and get a "French drain" tile system plus a vertical, dimpled plastic water barrier attached to the walls. This will stop and divert water on the outside and prevent further infiltration. Here is an example:
http://www.fairchildcontractors.com/waterproofing

GOOD LUCK! :D

Back