Asbestos (chrysotile) tiles in basement

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wuzzat?

Reaction score
Some are loose and I will to lift others with a putty knife after putting a torch to them. With a strong light I should be able to see if any particles are becoming airborne while I do this. If so, I may rent a strong exhaust fan or contract it out.
Anybody tried this torch method?

The local transfer station will take them. It's about 600 tiles.

Just keep them damp while removing them. If you get dust, then it's a problem.

You might want to wear a white particle mask as an added precaution if you wish.

Thanks, folks.

My next questions are "Can I put the new mastic and tiles over the old mastic?" and
"Do I need to roughen the surface of the old mastic?"

The substrate is concrete.

Why not just tile over tile?
They're loose.

I talked to an EPA guy at the gym and he thought it would be pretty difficult for me to get asbestos dust in the air. The biggest part of the job may be getting some stuff moved or suspended from the ceiling until after this job. Also, he thought a torch might work.

The old mastic may contain asbestos also!
From what little mastic was stuck on the tile sample I sent them, IIRC, Prolab said it did not.

I don't want to "paint myself into a corner" so I'll be asking the supplier of the new tiles and new mastic many questions before I start.

Back