Leaking roof

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flaherty76

Reaction score
The shingle roof on my house was replaced 5 years ago just before I bought it.

There is a section which leaks everytime it rains. I am looking for something I can use to seal the roof. I have found a product that cliams to seal shingle roofs with 2 coats. Has anyone ever used this type of product? Does anyone have any advise on what will work

Don't coat it just repair it. If you know where its leaking then a fix should be easy. A few pictures will help us tell you what you need to do.

Yea, I'd patch in new shingles or flashing (whatever the case may be), anything else is just temporary.

Same problem happened to my roof a year or so ago...I just patched new shingles. Good luck and let us know how it turned out!

The roof is basically new (5 years old) and there are no obvious damaged shingles. I cleaned and resealed the flashing where it attaches to the house and at all of the nail heads. The inside ceiling was soaked through and I took it down before it fell down. I can see the inside of the roof and where the water is weeping through. I am in Marlyand and we have been having a very wet May. There have been several rainy days since the ceiling came down and the crazy part is that it leaks from diferent places each time it rains. The leaks may be a few inches from previous leaks or they may be a foot or two away from earlier leaks.

One tip
where the water comes out may not be where it is going in.
Also water does not *generally* flow uphill
but it can

Maybe a few pictures. When I hear 'nail heads' and reliance on 're-sealing' thats says to me things may not have been done correctly.

A good roof job will have only two nail heads showing. Those are on the last ridge cap shingle. A roof that relies on caulk or tar to be water tight is a roof that will leak.

Hi ... I am new here. I am a 54 year old woman with a 150 year old house. My roof was replaced 18 years ago by some unethical subcontractors. They advised me against flashing around the chimneys ( I have three ) and the adjoining low roofs ( there are three ). This was my first home and I was green about how things should be done. While they were in the process of replacing the roof they came down and asked me if I wanted it flashed. I replied that I wanted it flashed if that was the proper thing to do and that I just wanted a good roof that would not leak. They told me that flashing causes leaks and that it was better to use tar and tar sprinkles, well they did not say sprinkles but I cannot remember the term for the tar that is sprinkled over the wet tar. I said that I would like to call the roofing contractor that I hired and ask them and they replied that they had to have an immediate answer from me and they couldn't wait for me to do that because they had to finish my job and get to another one. I told them to do what was best for my roof. Needless to say their idea of what was best was not to apply flashing to the appropriate places. I started having trouble a few weeks after the job was done around one chimney. We have put tar around it several times and it stops for awhile and then leaks again. I know that I should have the entire roof replaced but I simply cannot afford it. At this point all three chimney locations are leaking and a small leak has developed where the back porch connects to the house. I have heard of an aerosol product that can be sprayed on the affected areas. Is anyone familiar with this product? I know it would be better to tear shingles away and replace them with new shingles and flashing but I simply cannot afford it. I would sell the house but in this market it wouldn't go and there are so many houses for sale here in Marshall and they just aren't moving. I will appreciate any and all helpful replies.
Thanking You In Advance
RobbieY

RobbieY - It would be better to start a new topic for your question. Regardless, I will jump in with my thoughts.

Its been 18 years. A cheap roof may only last 20 or 30 years, maybe even less if it was a real shoddy job or has a low slope.

I cant say for sure if new flashing would have been required or not. I do know that tar, caulk, spray, and other coatings are not proper long term sealing/repair solutions.

If indeed you need flashing and do not have any then it must be installed. The shingles adjacent to the flashing can be removed, flashing installed and those shingles replaced. A decent handyman or even a competent do it yourselfer may be able to do the job. If you contact a roofer they may recommend replacing the entire roof. That recommendation might be legitimate, might not be.

No sense selling a house just because the roof needs flashing. Closing cost alone would be more money that the repair. Do you attend church? Maybe your church has a Deaconal board with someone handy who could help you out. Do you have any friends or neigbors who have done roofs before? Friend of the family who is a roofer who may want to do the flashing job in exchange for the cost of the materials and a couple of apple pies?

Remember - if you have a leak then the water is causing more damage and future repair costs will be higher the longer you wait to fix it. if its been leaking for 18 years you could possibly have some serious damage you cant see.

Back