what to put to cover windows

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AeR0

Reaction score
hey ppl i was hoping i could get some ideas as to what curtains or blinds to put up in my kitchen for my new side by side casement windows.

i will add a pic tommo and hopefully some ppl on here can give me some ideas / help.

hey ppl i was hoping i could get some ideas as to what curtains or blinds to put up in my kitchen for my new side by side casement windows.

i will add a pic tommo and hopefully some ppl on here can give me some ideas / help.

Is it a privacy problem? We have side by side casement windows between cabinets in our kitchen and like the look.

Assuming that you want to be able to open the windows, I can think of a couple of ideas:

1) I've seen semi-transparent paper that can be applied to the glass. It would let in light, but you wouldn't see the brick wall.

2) You could mount small shades or blinds to each window that would swing out when you open the casement, but you could roll up whenever you wanted to look at the brick wall. I'm not certain where you could find something like that.

anyone seen any nice blinds or drapes or anything that would suit in a kitchen enviroment?

I have a setup similar to yours and install "top down/bottom up" blinds by Levlor. I love them.

A top down bottom up would be nice. You can maintain your privacy and still let light in. I'ld suggest the cordless, it's a much cleaner look. A silouette by Hunter Douglas mounted above the trim is another good option.You can maintain your view and privacy by day and get total privacy at night. It has a soft elegant look to it. No matter what you chose you will still have to contend with the crank handles. Looks like those are the type that collapse, which won't interfer as much. Both of these treatments are very light and easy to operate.

thanks for the info bob...

could you post links to some pics to sort of show me the idea / thought you have in mind?

Here are 3 pics. First one is a cordless cellular shade. Very nice shade . 2nd and 3rd pics are of a silhouette. In the pic the silhouette is on the left. As you can see in the 2nd pic the material can be tilted open to soften the light but still maintain your view. 3rd pic shows the silhouette in the closed position. Hope this helps.

TDBU IM Cordless.jpg

luminettecounterparts03a.jpg

luminettecounterparts04a.jpg

Depending on whether or not noise coming through that window is a problem, you might want to consider interior shutters.

Basically, the more mass you can put over that window opening, the more noise you can stop from getting into your house through that window opening. 2 or 3 panes of 6 mil glass just plain doesn't go very far when it comes to keeping noise out. A pair of one inch thick laser engraved hardwood shutters would be very much more effective in that department.

(Keep that in mind for bedroom window treatments, maybe.)

Last edited:
i'd suggest the silouette blinds also. One on each window, then a nice valance at the top to soften the top edge. The blinds are nice too, because they can be attached at the bottom & not swing around. Especially over your stove - you don't want anything hanging down that low.

i'd suggest the silouette blinds also. One on each window, then a nice valance at the top to soften the top edge. The blinds are nice too, because they can be attached at the bottom & not swing around. Especially over your stove - you don't want anything hanging down that low.

do you have any pics that you could show me or what you think would be a good idea?

the bottom up top down blinds wont work for me as you see in the pic someone else provided they have mounted that inside the window where i have to mount above the window to the trim.

What are you wanting to do with your window treatment ?
Privacy ?
Protection from sun/glare ?
Purely decorative ?
What material are your windows? Aluminum ? Wood ?
Are you sure something couldn't be attached just to the outside of your glass on the outside of the trim ? It could be tricky because you have those window cranks right there. Any blind you have even if you mount it to outside trim (which is fine to do ) will have to stop before the cranks- looks like. I'd measure to bottom of trim , but stop them short of the cranks, otherwise they will stick out over them & not look right. If you hane normal bottom up blinds- they can still be the silouette type, thet would look fine mounted to the outside frame & then put a decorative valance over the top. I'lll try to find some pics- then figure out how to post them.

Back