Question on concrete slab

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papakevin

Reaction score
I need some help and need it quickly please. Long story short.

We are in Southern Indiana and my son is working on his Eagle Scout project. As part of the project, he is pouring seven concrete pads for benches around a walking trail at a Little League park.

The initial pour ended up being short on concrete when it poured it last weekend, so we were able to pour the last 10' by 10' pad today. The temp was 55 degrees when we poured, but tonight it is getting down to 42 degrees. Tomorrow is will be back up into the mid 50's, but the bad news is that rain is in the forecast.

The question: Should I cover the pad with plastic before it rains or leave it uncovered? Do I need to be concerned with the temps getting below freezing in the next four or five days? Any information to help would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

-Kevin

I would cover it. You need 3-4 hours of no rain on it for it to set up. After that time it will probably be set enough that the rain won't damage it. After it is set up the rain is good for the concrete. It lets is cure slowly.

Thanks for the reply. The slab got poured today around 3pm and we applied a broom finish to it round 4 or 4:30pm. Rain isn't expected until noon tomorrow, so that sounds like that's enough time and I don't need to cover it, right? Also attaching a photo (or trying to) of the slab in question. Thanks.

image-3603486116.jpg

Will do old dog, thanks. That's the last pad we poured, so by then we had some experience.

The other six turned out ok, but the 12' by 12' didn't smooth out quite as nice. Good thing there will be a huge double picnic table bolted down to help hide it.

Latest posts

Back