Laundry room insulation??

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dj1008

Reaction score
I live in a house where the laundry room is in a small room on the backside of the house. It can only be accessed from a door to the room that is outside - there is no entrance from the inside of the house to it. It's drywalled, but there's likely no insulation between the interior and exterior walls. There is no heating vent in this room, either. When the weather gets cold and temps are below freezing, the washer freezes up and can't be used until I thaw it out by running the dryer through a couple of drying cycles to create some heat in the room. What can I do to this room to try and retain some sort of heat in it? Can I nail up some sort of insulation on top of the existing drywall or do I just have to continue suffering with this problem? I'm renting the house and don't want to have to go through a lot of expense - the landlord's attitude is that it's just a problem I have to deal with. Thanks!

Run a space heater while you do laundry. If you can access the floor underneath the room, I'd start there. Be careful with fiberglass batts. The vapor barrier is flammable.

Install some pipe wrap insulation on the exposed supply lines. Tape some rigid foil-faced foam board to the outside bottom of the washer to protect the pump from freezing. Leave room for the motor to breathe.
Be safe, Gary

Back