Ceiling/wall repair after water leakage

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bostonjp

Reaction score
I need advice about repairs needed for ceiling and walls in the first floor of our single-family house after water leakage from 2nd floor. The pipe running up to the shower head in our 2nd floor bathroom started leaking water. We noticed water dripping from the ceiling in the 1st floor dining room right below the bathroom. We were able to stop the flooding upon noticing the leakage by shutting off the shower faucet/diverter.

As a result of the rather brief leakage/flooding, there is water stain on the ceiling as well as the adjacent walls in the corner of the first floor dining room (picture attached). Tests indicated no moisture in the ceiling or the walls. Given this and the fact that the leakage was stopped early on, would it suffice to prime and repaint the stained areas of the ceiling and walls? Or is it recommended to open up the ceiling/walls, inspect for mold and potential damage to insulation, perform repairs, and re-plaster?

Thanks

IMG_20171006_202440.jpg

If it is dry and the leak was short term, you can probably just prime and paint.

If you want to prove it, just cut a small hole and patch it if there is nothing funky going on.

If you want to prove it, just cut a small hole and patch it if there is nothing funky going on.

Just to make sure I understand this correctly, you recommend cutting small hole, inspecting for moisture/mold/insulation damage/etc., and then patching it up. Correct?

Just to make sure I understand this correctly, you recommend cutting small hole, inspecting for moisture/mold/insulation damage/etc., and then patching it up. Correct?

Only if you want to prove it. If you have tested it for moisture and it isn't wet you're probably fine. Mold needs a damp surface to grow. Since you caught the leak and stopped it right away this is likely just staining on the ceiling. Repair any damage, prime with a blocking stain (Kilz, Zinser) and repaint.

Yes just a 4" sq hole away from the molding and place a piece of wood behind the hole and replace the piece a few screws and fill.
If the back of drywall Is moldy it is decision time, If you can be sure warm moist air can not get the location it will stop growing and there are spores everywhere anyways. But if it a black mess you want it out.

Back