Water damage under 2nd story deck

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacobus2

Reaction score
I've got water damage on the top of beams supporting a 2nd floor deck. The deck sits on 2x10 joists which abut the house on one end and sit atop a 4x10 beam on their outer end. Water is free to run between the deck boards and fall on top of the 4x10 beam. The top of that beam (painted Doug Fir) is starting to rot from the water pooling on it. Also, some of the joist bottoms, where they sit on the beam, are rotting. I can repair the rot damage with Abatron WoodEpox and some additional wood and hardware, but I need to find a good way to waterproof the beam top between the joists. As I repair the damage I can give it a slight curve so water will run off but I still want a waterproof membrane that I won't have to mess with for many years. Any ideas?

Any experience with Flex Tape? It comes in 4" width which is better, but I have no idea how it would hold up.

Any experience with Flex Tape? It comes in 4" width which is better, but I have no idea how it would hold up.

There is a primer that makes it stick better and I would want it to go under the joists
Not sure this one needs a primer.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKjPZ5zmXyw[/ame]

Please post some pictures so we can see what your seeing.

I think maybe brace the posts in place and jack up the deck off the beam. Clean up the beam and repair it with epoxy. Cover it with peel and stick and nail a foot or two of new treated joist to the old on the sides of the joists.

You're probably right. Another "little job" morphing into quite a project! Thank you for your advice.

Back