Im tired of slipping when walking on my wet porch...HELP

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spec_j

Reaction score
well here goes...

When it rains my porch gets flooded due to the layout the previous owners "attempted" to fix. I think they were trying to keep the water from the roof from falling on their flowers? I would have thought that would have been a good thing being that they would be getting needed water. Oh well! Im looking for a paint that will not be that slick when I walk on it. This will be a temp solution until im able to find a way to re-route the water to another location. I read about shark bite and a few others. What im wanting to know is what do i need to do in order to paint this and what should I use? Its flaking in some places, so i know that i need to scrape off the excess and make sure i have a good surface to paint. What primer should I use and with what paint?

I've never used a traction grit in a paint, but I've heard about Sharkbite traction grit.

If I were you, I would use an exterior oil based primer and top coat with an exterior oil based paint. I've never used a traction grit in a paint, so I really don't know how you would use it, but I'm sure the Sharkbite has a 1-800 customer service phone number n the package that you can get that kind of advice.

Thanks. didnt think about calling customer service

know this is an old post but,,,

its not difficult to regrade a porch to provide positive waterflow altho you won't find the mtls at any apron store,,, instead, look for a const supply house OR a dec conc supplier who's got ' just add water ' hybrid-polymer-modified cements in bags,,, we use elitecrete exclusively for its ease & constant quality,,, yes, all overlays need sealing to provide uv protection since they're colorable,,, we've not used ' shark's grip ' [ sher-wms ] which is ground polycarbonate,,, we use glass beads OR alum oxide.

paint's never a good choice for conc,,, you may wish to consider acid-stain instead,,, there're coatings that're much more satisfactory,,, removing the paint's a job for 7" grinder fitt'd w/diamond turbo cup wheel,,, we get ours from ' fc727 ' on ebay !

Is the porch concrete? When I read the post I envisioned a wood porch. I guess concrete makes sense but why would someone paint it to begin with?

Why would people paint concrete?

Because it gets shabby and ugly and old (even if it's still in tact) and can take away from every other thing you are improving. We painted our original concrete porch for years -- including putting the grit in to make the surface better to walk on.

Last year, I put brick down. No more painting! Slick as hell in the winter, but it looks nice.

What about plain old sand in the paint ? There's got to be a paint out there for this particular situation. Wouldn't you think ? I've never heard od shark bite. Think I'll google it.

Back