On off switch?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krich

Reaction score
I have one florescent light in my garage now that goes off after it's been on a while so I'd imagine the ballast is going bad.

So, I'm wanting to replace it with an LED fixture since LEDs last longer, there's no ballast to replace and they use less electricity.

I'm wanting to go with this one:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N37HZRS/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

But, my garage could use a second one when I'm in there working, but it doesn't really need to be on all the time (unless I need it when working)

So, I'd like to install a second LED light fixture and install an on / off switch that I can just pull the chain to turn it on and off.

The second one will be in a straight line maybe 3 or 4 feet from the first one, so what's a good way to install a switch on the wiring?

I found a switch here that looks like it would work:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004WLKH/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I just don't really want to install it in the LED light fixture housing itself and would like to place it right before the second fixture so I can pull the chain to make the second fixture come on and off.

Any idea on how to mount this switch? Or, do you guys know of another switch I could use that may be easier to mount?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like to have a fixture that has 2 bulbs in it that are serviceable so they can be replaced if they ever went out without having to replace the entire fixture.

I like LEDs, but not fixtures that are not serviceable.

I would like to find a fixture that already has the switch that is a 4-foot 2-light Ceiling Light Fixture with 2 LED T8 tubes that are removable

If you know where I can find such a product, please let me know since this would simplify what I'm wanting to do

And I'd like to mount it flush on the ceiling like the current florescent light fixture is mounted so I would not want a hang down unit as this would expose the hole that is there wires the wire come out.

It looks like there used to be a standard light bulb fixture there originally.

LED’s so little power I would wire them together and forget about the pull chain idea. Everyone I ever had jammed up or the chain breaks or something and you are always messing with them. If I really wanted two switches I would wire them both back to the switch box and put in a double switch.

I agree with others about running a switch leg to near the door but that switch is just a matier of drilling a hole in the end of the unit and running the second one off the same switch is just a matter of how you wire the first one.

Latest posts

Back