Looks like the previous owner painted over wallpaper - advice?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TNfoxgrove

Reaction score
Moved in in December, finally getting around to preparing the guest room for painting.

Looking at the walls - and poking around a little - I realized it looked like the previous owner had painted (probably more than once) over wallpaper. For the most part, the walls are fine (not bubbling or doing anything too weird) but there's this one spot over the door, and then this other spot that I just couldn't resist picking at.

1) If I "do this right" and remove it, how on earth am I supposed to do that since I can't wet it down? Also, we found out the popcorn ceiling has asbestos in it, so I'd be concerned about what else might have used asbestos as well.

2) If I do this quick, what's the best way to patch these two spots and move on with my life? Razor a clean edge and then use some kind of spackle or plaster?

EDIT:

This is totally a drywall joint, isn't it? So my question is really about retaping a drywall joint, right? Oi. I'm new to homeownership. Sorry folks.

IMG_3038.jpg

IMG_3037.jpg

IMG_3036.jpg

Last edited:
Ya that’s wall paper or something they called bridging paper, people went over even paneling and painted it. Did you have the ceiling tested?

The wall paper can come off and then expect a lot of plaster repairs after. If you are not trying to restore it leave it and touch up the spots and paint. I would trim out the bubbles and use drywall compound premixed in a tub one gallon or 5 gallon you need one gallon to start. Fill in the indents and sand and paint. You can always rip it all down later. The paint they used looks like texture paint. It is a thick paint to cover over problems.

You could paint over the ceiling and seal it in. or get it removed.

If there is painted over wall paper you should see vertical seams every 20 1/2 or 27 inches. What you took off is drywall tape.

Back