Water shutoff in wrong place

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spangles

Reaction score
How do I shut off my water when the tap is not where the pipes enter the house. It's further along, past where the kitchen sink is plumbed in.

If that is true then you need to shut it off at the curb stop and install a shut off where it enters the house.

The plumbing is either incorrect or the shut off is buried or hidden. Is it possible you missed it? A "curb key" can be used to shut off the water at the street. If the valve is stuck, you may have to call the City water people and they will come out and do it for you (free). Take JoeD's advice and install a ball valve shut off while you are doing your original repairs.

Best of luck. :)

In our area if I come out to shut your water off (I work for the water utility) and the curb stop breaks the owner has to pay to repair it. Just an FYI and something to check into before you have the utility operate it.
If that's not a concern, then I totally agree, cut in a ball valve where you can see the water coming into the house. Don't cheap out and get a gate valve - too many problems can go wrong with those. Ball valve, while more expensive, is definitely the way to go.

Thanks! Really appreciate the advice. It's not a pressing concern for now but something that has been bothering me for a while. There are just not enough weekends in a week to get as much as I would like to get done!

There are just not enough weekends in a week to get as much as I would like to get done!

Man, I've said that more than a few times. My weekends turn into 12 hour work days. I gotta go back to work to get some rest.

Back