Air Sealing Top Plate

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

souza477

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I got a stupid question and I hope I’m worrying about a stupid thing that not a big deal. Long story short, I was doing some air sealing and I spray foamed some great stuff in an electrical wire penetration through an exterior wall top plate which is fine but I had to pull back some cellulose to do the job. However some of the residue of the spray foam mixed with the insulation is stuck to the top plate. Maybe 1/8 of inch, over a small area around the penetration. Anyway my question is will this small amount prevent the wood from breathing/passing moisture as its closed cell and cause some minor rot?. I really don’t want to go back to this area to sand it off but I will if I have too. I assume not as there is not enough on the top plate and vapor will still pass. I have mineral wool piece of insulation sitting on the top plate holding back the cellulose with a rafter baffle..

Thanks

Alex

Welcome to the site, I would not give that a second thought. there are two top plates and moisture would still pass thru the other. The whole point of what you are doing is to stop air movement so less moisture is getting to the wood.

Back