Do most blower motors have oiling ports?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glenstr

Reaction score
My 24 year old gas furnace makes a slight noise when the fan first spools up, nothing real serious sounding and it's been doing it for quite a few years. After 3-4 seconds the noise goes away once it reaches speed.

I went down to check it out and on the motor housing behind the bottom panel it has a sticker with an oiling schedule for motors with oiling ports on them. I did a search on this and saw on youtube etc. that oiling ports are typically on top of the motor. With the bottom panel off I felt inside on top of the motor (I can't see in there) and could feel no caps for the oil ports.

Is it possible this motor has a sealed unit and does not need oiling? Should I pull the blower assembly out and take a closer look? I've never had it out before and it looks like I'd be removing some electrical parts etc. but it does look doable.

Some motors, even though they suggest oiling, and expecting the type of oiling port you are familiar with, may in fact be a simple hole that oil can be inserted. Others cannot and only contain a fibrous oil soaked packing, requiring the motor to be disassembled.

Back