No power at Thermostat

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xfaith

Reaction score
Looking for some help. Made the mistake of trying to "upgrade" the thermostat to a Nest. Original equipment was HoneyWell T8001C.

So I wanted to switch out a HoneyWell T8001C with a NEST (1stGEN). They said it would be easy :).

So I verified the wire settings with Nest and then connected it, no power at the NEST, I thought maybe that the NEST was bad, so I replaced it back with the original Honeywell, now I have no power at the unit.

I used a multimeter to test the wires and do not show anything from any of the wires.
First one should be the before, and the second one is after reverting back.

IMG_20170111_143653.jpg

after.jpg

In both pics, I see a wire that is not under the terminal screw. You should correct that. That might be enough of a problem to prevent the Tstat from working properly, but if you are getting No power after you that, check the emergency shut-off switch, check the breaker and - as Neal said - the fuse(s).
Do you have any other zones (Tstats) on the system? And are they working?

Most of these thermostats use a small transformer somewhere that outputs 24Volts AC. Make sure that whenever you test it with a multimeter to use the right scale and that it is in AC mode.

Its been raining outside (A/C / Heater unit) is outside. The transformer should be there? Is that were the Fuse should be also?

When I started I cut power at the circuit breaker for the A/C unit. I even contacted NEST to verify the wire arrangement before I started this. I guess I should not have started working on this, I thought it was simple.

Where would an emergency shut-off switch be? I dont recall seeing anything. If it nots raining tonight I will look at the A/C unit.

Ill look at the video you posted also thanks.
As for the multimeter, I verfied that I had it on AC

Thanks again

Latest posts

Back